Will a cord of firewood fit in a pickup?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My point exactly. Math, i.e., volume is a fixed amount. When you start talking ricks, rickshaws, face cords, baker's cords, bundles, mungles or rip cords, they are all somebody's estimate of what they are delivering.
That is why it is only legal to sell fire wood by cords or fractions of cords in pa. But lots of guys sell it by the full sized pickup load.

I think that’s what he meant. Obviously that’s the only way his statement makes sense. If you control for moisture, energy:mass is relatively consistent across all species.
Yes, I should have added “at given MC”
Sometimes my English is not as good as I want. Thanks for the clarification mcstatz

That is why it is only legal to sell fire wood by cords or fractions of cords in pa. But lots of guys sell it by the full sized pickup load.

Yeah, it’s amazing that this isn’t addressed in all states. Condensed here, from our local paper:
An invoice with the following information must accompany all firewood sales; the name, address and phone number of the business, amount and type of wood purchased, and the price.

All firewood sales in Pennsylvania must be sold by the cord or fraction of a cord. A cord is the legal description of amount of wood purchased. A cord is measured by stacking the wood 4 feet high by 4 feet wide by 8 feet in length or a total of 128 cubic feet.

If you get a delivery that is not stacked, stack the delivery within 48 hours of delivery, and if there is a discrepancy with the amount call the business immediately.

If they do not address the problem call The Bucks County Weights and Measures Department at 215-348-7442.

Reactions: bholler
There are an infinite number of Ricks's

download.jpg

So, is it possible to get 4 ricks in a pickup? :p

This is all so confusing. But if I have this deciphered properly, you should be able to 4 or more ricks in a pickup truck if you have a crew cab, or if you use rick faces. I have seen four ricks in a rickshaw, but that would not be legal in PA from what I understand. Either way, just be sure your ricks are dry. A wet rick is known as a sticky ricket in these parts.

Rick, rack, rickshaws, sticky ricket? Such a racket. I'm going to rephrase the question:
Is it possible to get 4 ricks of dry firewood in a Dodge pickup? Because we all know firewood shrinks as it dries.......

8ft long, 4ft between the wheel wells, heaped but maybe not a full 4 ft tall. The extra width of the bed will compensate for the height. I think a long bed with side rails and the right suspension will haul a cord.
DF6C39A5-9E91-49DB-8327-349B9893F2F0.jpeg

8ft long, 4ft between the wheel wells, heaped but maybe not a full 4 ft tall. The extra width of the bed will compensate for the height. I think a long bed with side rails and the right suspension will haul a cord.
View attachment 228832
Yeah and even that dually is overloaded

Nah. Judging by the rake of the truck, looks like a nice, heavy load. Fords look like that empty.:p

Reactions: Ashful
View attachment 228832

Way over a cord there. You are being overly conservative with the 4 feet width assumption. Your bumper is 6 feet wide. You might be surprised if you measured.

I have put 3500 lbs worth of bags of concrete in the bed of the truck. I commonly put a cord of wood in it, I have side rails that go a foot over the cab roof. Can be done. 10 ply tires help.

I put 4,000 lbs of aluminum oxide (2 skids) in my truck from time to time, a 2500 HD Duramax...Overloaded, yes. I just ride with the jake brake and tow haul mode on. But a short answer to the question - No, I couldn't fit a cord in my truck.

Absolutely as long as it's a Toyota shown here

lol... does Toyota even make a HD truck? I went to their web site just now, out of curiosity, and their “specs” on the top of the line model just talk about matching trim, accent colors, and interior options. Only thing even mentioned about capacity is an unimpressive 9100 lb. max tow rating.

Note the photo several posts above is a dually rated to carry a few Toyotas in it’s bed weight capacity, alone.

lol... does Toyota even make a HD truck? I went to their web site just now, out of curiosity, and their “specs” on the top of the line model just talk about matching trim, accent colors, and interior options. Only thing even mentioned about capacity is an unimpressive 9100 lb. max tow rating.

Note the photo several posts above is a dually rated to carry a few Toyotas in it’s bed weight capacity, alone.
Whatever makes you happy,that Toyota 03 has 366,000 miles and runs as strong as the day i got it,it hauled that load of solid hickory blocks 90 miles hundreds of times,i replaced shocks three times,nothing else but brakes,tires,batteries. If your dually floats your boat God bless you. I'll drive Toyota serves me well.If I wanted a bigger truck none are made I can't buy,wife inherited 7 figures some time ago and we still work. again it's what you prefer.

Whatever makes you happy,that Toyota 03 has 366,000 miles and runs as strong as the day i got it,it hauled that load of solid hickory blocks 90 miles hundreds of times,i replaced shocks three times,nothing else but brakes,tires,batteries. If your dually floats your boat God bless you. I'll drive Toyota serves me well.If I wanted a bigger truck none are made I can't buy,wife inherited 7 figures some time ago and we still work. again it's what you prefer.
I really dont know why you mention how much money you have so often. None of us really care either way. If you like toyotas fine i like them to and have owned 3 and driven many more but they simply cant handle as much weight as most other trucks. And no matter what you think driving that truck loaded that much is completly unsafe. And being a leo you should know better.

Oh and that load is nowhere near a cord.

Status
Not open for further replies.