Will an Ideal Steel Hybrid be too much for my space?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dug8498

Feeling the Heat
Jun 20, 2018
Southern NH
Hi All, considering purchasing the Ideel Steel Hybrid stove. However, I am concerned it may be too much stove for our living space.

We currently have an older Jotul F118B cigar style stove, and about 1400 sq ft of finished space (2 stories) that this stove heats all winter no problem. Our house is well insulated, and has a passive solar design. We currently only burn 1-1.5 cords of wood each winter. I'd get a different/smaller stove from Woodstock, but I wouldn't be able to use the wood I currently have as most of it is cut to 18-20". I have about 10 cords of wonderfully dry wood and really don't want to get a stove that takes a max of 16" as I'd need to get rid of the wood I have and start over.

For folks that have this stove- would I be ok purchasing this stove and using less wood/managing airflow, or am I going to get cooked out of my house?

Thanks!

Hi All, considering purchasing the Ideel Steel Hybrid stove. However, I am concerned it may be too much stove for our living space.

We currently have an older Jotul F118B cigar style stove, and about 1400 sq ft of finished space (2 stories) that this stove heats all winter no problem. Our house is well insulated, and has a passive solar design. We currently only burn 1-1.5 cords of wood each winter. I'd get a different/smaller stove from Woodstock, but I wouldn't be able to use the wood I currently have as most of it is cut to 18-20". I have about 10 cords of wonderfully dry wood and really don't want to get a stove that takes a max of 16" as I'd need to get rid of the wood I have and start over.

For folks that have this stove- would I be ok purchasing this stove and using less wood/managing airflow, or am I going to get cooked out of my house?

Thanks!
It sounds like overkill. Have you considered getting the next size down in the Absolute Steel? It will take up to 20" wood.

It sounds like overkill. Have you considered getting the next size down in the Absolute Steel? It will take up to 20" wood.
Interesting. I somehow missed this one. I'm wondering why this is more expensive than the Ideal Steel? Maybe because it's harder to fit everything in a smaller package? Or perhaps because there's more included at a base level. Either way, thanks for pointing this out!

The pricing does not make sense to me either.

I hear that it's to be competitive? I don't know but the AS gets good reports from owners too.
It just seems odd that it's more expensive than the ideal steel when it's a good bit smaller. Construction seems quite similar- both steel bodies etc..

Reactions: Highbeam
Competitive with what? Like the Ideal Steel, it's no beauty contest winner. It looks more like a test stove with filigree stuck on it.

Reactions: Highbeam
It just seems odd that it's more expensive than the ideal steel when it's a good bit smaller. Construction seems quite similar- both steel bodies etc..
Yes, and with less functional options like adjustable height and less choices than the Ideal Steel for dolling it up, like the soapstone panels. It's a good unit and they deserve credit for producing a very clean burning stove, but it's time to bring in a outside designer and reexamine pricing.

Reactions: bholler
Competitive with what? Like the Ideal Steel, it's no beauty contest winner. It looks more like a test stove with filigree stuck on it.
Their stone models. It’s a weak argument and I usually prefer lower prices so I don’t push it. I look at it like a loss leader, 2x4 lumber or gallons of milk. A product that they just break even on or even lose money to get you in the store.

The IS and the AS look goofy to me but people seem to like them.

The IS is only 3.2 cubic feet in “Woodstock” units which traditionally are way over reality so this plate steel IS competes with the princess and needed to be much cheaper than the even smaller stone PH.

Why the AS is even more money? Maybe due to lower sales volumes and a weird accounting system that requires R&D costs to be recuperated from each model independently.

Just guessing. It’s weird pricing. I agree.

Reactions: Dug8498 and bholler