Will ash wood be seasoned enough to burn late in next season

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 6, 2011
Sodus NY
I cut down a big ash tree (it really is big) last fall, but didn't get to cutting it or splitting it. I've read somewhere (maybe here) that ash trees season very quickly. If I cut and split it now and store it in the back of my wood shed to burn late in the season, say February or March do you think it will be seasoned enough. I know most people here season for 2 or more years, but I'm not that caught up to that yet. I'm working on it though. I have a lot of trees cut down finally and will work on cutting them up and splitting this summer.

I think it wil burn, but not be at its best by early spring. I wouldn't stack it inside a shed. It will season faster out in the wind, especially during the summer and fall. Maybe I'd move it to the shed for winter.

Full summer stacked in single rows in the sun/wind and it will burn reasonably well. As wood duck said I wouldn't move it into a shed.

Ash is all I burned in my fireplace,. Just got the woodstove this year, so I am stocking up on an assortment of woods now. But I burned about a cord or 2 of Ash every year. Noramlly C/S/S by July 4th. Burned great in my fireplace. I have a few cord on hand now. Not much Ash. But I am still looking for someone with some 2-3 year old "Seasoned" wood. I am looking to buy at least 2-3 cord of wood this year, so I know I am safe. After that I will be several years ahead. Hope to have about 10-15 cord by the 1st snowfall...

Get all the Ash you can. Burns good and hot. Seasons fast. Low M/C to begin with.

gogreenburnwood said:
I cut down a big ash tree (it really is big) last fall
Was it dead?

If you get it cut, split, and stacked in a well ventilated location by July, it'll be fine to burn by October IMHO. Ash starts at a low moisture content and releases the moisture it does have quickly.

With the wind you get off the lake, I bet it will be ready even sooner as long as you stack it out in the open. As others have said, you don't want it in the shed until the snow flies.

Stack and cover the top only and you should be good. Split sizes will obviously be a factor too, not to big.

In years past, before I caught the "get a few years ahead" bug, the ash and dead cedar on our property were my go to woods when in late winter/early spring when I realized I had been too lazy over the recent spring. You should be fine, especially in your old stove.

If you can get that ash cut, split and stacked really quick, I'd say you could burn it next winter with no problem. It would be better to wait another year but you can still do it. Just be certain that you remember to check that chimney at least monthly. I remember when we burned ash before its time we had to clean the chimney many times that winter.

Id say depends on how wet the ground is where the tree is laying. A ash tree will be wetter laying on the wet ground than standing live. When I drop a tree I buck and stack the rounds off the ground right away.

Status
Not open for further replies.