Will be making some of my own double wall stove pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Soup

Sep 27, 2020
Where it gets cold
Well,
Not exactly......
But, due to some clearance issues, I will be putting a shield around the single wall stove pipe.
I had initially intended to do the stove pipe in 6" double wall pipe. I was really sold on the idea.
until inaccessibility and over inflated cost inhibited the follow through.
I can achieve the same results using shielding... One thing being a jotul with 5" flue, I will continue
to use the flue size up to the chimney support. I purchased 7" single wall as well, which I will use
with #8-32 screws in the necessary clearance locations.

I don't have a question per se....
BUT
I did want to see if anyone else has gone and done this? shielding single wall pipe, so to reduce clearances....

I am also thinking that I might be able to shield the back of the stove as well by extending a piece of the
7" stove pipe below the(but connected at the) elbow. If I connect to the stove pipe and the elbow and
let the 7" extended lower..... In essence it should shield the back of the stove......

Thoughts?
Thanks! Soup

Imperial makes stove pipe shields. They come complete with standoffs. Double-wall stove pipe is superior. There is a reason for the additional cost. Besides the fabrication for proper fitting and joing, it has a stainless steel inner pipe.

Stove pipe shields.... yes, that gave me the idea...seeing (it)
Yeah, fabrication....... In the process at the moment.....
I got the hand of it now...... the fab part....... It is going good...
True, the stainless inside..... double wall stove pipe is superior...
&& I would have went for it... but, cost prohibitive........... 250... round here for the the
largest tele---- >>>> length......
thanks for replying......

I was looking at the the NASD... .document.....

So single wall stove pipe........... when there is a non-combustible durock shield..
It says..... 12".....distance to combustibles ..
what about..... that
(which I just mentioned above -- Durrock shield) plus... shielding on single wall?????

should be some sorta reduction...... ???

I would be interested............. In thoughts.... and opinions......

Custom shielding is undocumented and untested. Double-wall stove pipe is 6" to the wall and 8-9" to the ceiling depending on brand.
With the Imperial shielding the reduction is 6" to the wall. However, the stove clearance requirements may trump this.

Understandable......

DWSP...... very attractive in that respect. Woodha made my life much easier...(Couldha used a break)...
That is encouraging about Imp Shld..ng.....Thanks!
Yes, that is true depending on the stove.....And the like --- nuclear power plants.....

Soup