Will I over buy if I get a Blaze King-King?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ksks

Oct 16, 2016
SW MO
I will be heating a 1600 sq ft insulated garage in southern Missouri.

I like the King, esp the long burn times.

Will the King be overkill for that size space?

Should I get the Princess? or???

Thanks.

I would put a King in my living room (1200sqft upper floor) tonight, but the wife has forbidden both the King and Princess for aesthetic reasons.

So I run my Ashford 30 like a rented mule.

Size is essential.

Just M2c. On the BK website they rate the A30 as 11-12k BTUs / hour on low, the King can only be turned down to 14-15k BTUs/ hour.

I would put a King in my living room (1200sqft upper floor) tonight, but the wife has forbidden both the King and Princess for aesthetic reasons.

Size is essential.

Just M2c. On the BK website they rate the A30 as 11-12k BTUs / hour on low, the King can only be turned down to 14-15k BTUs/ hour.
Bet an Ashford in King size would be a good seller!

1,600 sq ft in Wisconsin. If you have room for the king then go for it.

The difference in btu output on low is almost trivial. Your basically getting the bigger fuel tank.

Reactions: Highbeam
Thanks Tarzan, but the garage is actually in So. Missouri.

My concern is if it is on low burn too much, does that make a bad issue with creosote?

And, will it overheat the garage? esp in Spring and Fall?

asks

Probably not, but the Princess would also do the job well if you want to save a bit. How tall is the ceiling? What level of insulation? Are the garage doors insulated also?

As long as you keep the cat active, you'll have a pretty clean pipe. The creosote buildup in the stove will be pretty impressive, though.

Do you do plan on heating it 24/7? Just asking, because otherwise it seems like a lot of cash for a garage stove.

Don't forget that the 8" pipe for the king will cost substantially more than 6".

Reactions: Poindexter
Thanks guys.

The ceiling is 12 feet. The building will be wrapped outside and insulated. The ceiling will be insulated. Haven't thought much about the doors???

I will be heating 24/7. It will also be a workshop and a getaway with TV and chair.

I guess I was wondering how active the cat will be in that scenario. I've only used an insert in the home and it does not have a cat. So, I'm not clear on how they work when the weather is more mild.

Is the creosote buildup a concern? Or are you just saying, it will build up in between the hot fires?

ksks

Sounds like the Princess would handle it. Creosote build up is often greater with these stoves, but that also depends on the dryness of wood burned and the thermostat setting.
Before proceding, first check with the local inspecting authority and make sure it is legal to have a stove in a garage in your jurisdiction. It is not in many areas. If it is legal find out if there are any special conditions. Some places where it is allowed require the stove to be raised 18" above the floor.

Thanks begreen.

I'm out in the sticks in southern MO. No too many restrictions here with building codes. No inspectors to worry about. I do have a competent installer available.

I guess a final question ---

Difference in burn length time between King and Princess?
- oak, less that 20% moisture

I know what the web site says. Just wondering practically if I will be able to get a 24 hour burn in the winter with the Princess. I know its hard to say, but any guesses?

Final, final question ---
- this is a new build. First timer with a free standing stove.
- Anything else I should consider with the stove and the new build? I will be placing the stove on the back wall, center of garage. Assume I will get a blower.

Thanks for the noobe help.

ks

I would just be guessing. The length of the burn is going to depend on a number of factors including the quality of wood burned and the amount of insulation. But also it will depend on the thermostat setting and outdoor temps. In MO for most of winter you will probably get those long burn times, but it wouldn't surprise me to see those times drop to 12-16 hrs if the area gets hit with below zero temps and high winds.

You're going from WI to Southern MO? Bring your shorts. You won't even need heat in the garage but a couple months a year unless you're growing veggies down there... >>
upload_2016-10-30_17-53-0.png

You're going from WI to Southern MO? Bring your shorts. You won't even need heat in the garage but a couple months a year unless you're growing veggies down there... >>
View attachment 186973

haha. Even a WI boy gets cold when its in the 20s!
It will not just be a garage but my work shop and my place to escape. So, I'll be spending as much time there as in the house.
And...I'm tired of being cold!

22F is the average low in January there. Average means there will be days colder and hotter too.
"The coldest day of 2014 was January 6, with a low temperature of -9°F. For reference, on that day the average low temperature is 24°F and the low temperature drops below 8°F only one day in ten. The coldest month of 2014 was January with an average daily low temperature of 18°F."
https://weatherspark.com/history/31592/2014/Springfield-Missouri-United-States

temperature_temperature_f.png

haha. Even a WI boy gets cold when its in the 20s!
Dude, you gotta cut your grass in the middle of winter down here! Just kidding. ;)
It will not just be a garage but my work shop and my place to escape. So, I'll be spending as much time there as in the house. And...I'm tired of being cold!
Well, I'll tell ya, I'm not going back up there any time soon! :oops:
Ah, the man-cave...so it's gotta be at a suitable temp to flop in the BarcaLounger at any time! ==c
22F is the average low in January there....The coldest day of 2014 was January 6, with a low temperature of -9°F.
Yeah, but when he gets here he'll find that there are quite a few winters where we scarcely see single digits, if at all. And now, with climate change... ==c
2016:
upload_2016-10-30_18-37-0.png

Last edited:

Size is essential.

I hear ya.....my wife won't look at Blaze King either. They really need to brush up on how the stove looks for women. Anything that is going in the house has to look good to your sweetie.

I will be heating a 1600 sq ft insulated garage in southern Missouri.

I like the King, esp the long burn times.

Will the King be overkill for that size space?

Should I get the Princess? or???

Thanks.
Better to have and not need ,than to need and not have.

I hear ya.....my wife won't look at Blaze King either. They really need to brush up on how the stove looks for women. Anything that is going in the house has to look good to your sweetie.
They are a little fugly. The other thing is, BK's only vent out the top, which won't work in my house. I need a side vented stove to replace my clunker and can't go BK

So 1600 SF shop (start calling it a shop and not a garage, woodstoves are illegal in a garage but not a shop) with 12 foot ceilings is the same as a 2400 SF house with 8 foot ceilings. The assumption with stove manufacturers regarding SF heated is that your space has average insulation and 7 or 8 foot ceilings.

The king will not be too much stove. You will generally be running the stove hard to catch up. Unlike a home, you will most likely not be heating this outbuilding constantly so will need high output frequently.

I have an 1800 SF shop with 14' ceilings, well insulated, and run the snot out of an NC30 stove and it will eventually warm the place up. I got permits and inspections. You really can't have too much stove in a shop. I actually would love to put a wood furnace in the shop but none are legal in WA. More power!

Thanks highbeam. I wasn't thinking of cubic feet, just square feet. That makes sense.
That makes me feel much more comfortable about the big stove in my "shop!"

I'm assuming that the shop has a concrete floor. I'm also assuming that the slab is not insulated. So whatever stove you get will constantly be fighting a very cold floor. If you have the money I would get the king and not look back.

Given the long burn time I was assuming the stove would be going 24/7, so not a lot of catch up. I can see dialing it back a bit, but not restarting regularly.

Given the long burn time I was assuming the stove would be going 24/7, so not a lot of catch up. I can see dialing it back a bit, but not restarting regularly.
If you're going to be starting fires, get something that throws big heat, quick...a tube stove. Or a hybrid Ideal Steel, and only pay 2/3 as much.

Last edited: