Will I over buy if I get a Blaze King-King?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Given the long burn time I was assuming the stove would be going 24/7, so not a lot of catch up.

Depends what he wants. 24-7 burning with a cat stove on a low setting won't be warming up the concrete much. So he may need to run it harder and if he wants the longer burn time, the king is the obvious answer. I'm sure the Princess would work but if he wants the King whats stopping him?

Nothing except the cost of a more expensive stove + 8" stove pipe.

Welcome to the neighborhood ksks. Have you found a dealer down here or are you picking one up on your way?

22F is the average low in January there. Average means there will be days colder and hotter too.
"The coldest day of 2014 was January 6, with a low temperature of -9°F. For reference, on that day the average low temperature is 24°F and the low temperature drops below 8°F only one day in ten. The coldest month of 2014 was January with an average daily low temperature of 18°F."
https://weatherspark.com/history/31592/2014/Springfield-Missouri-United-States

View attachment 186974

Meh... Get down in a holler & the temps drop quick. It got down to -15 here that night.

Reactions: Woody Stover
Remember that you can't burn just any shop scraps in a cat stove. No painted wood, garbage, oily rags, plywood, some say no galvanized nails even! A big non cat can eat just about anything that you might want to burn.

My slab is insulated but with tall ceilings it is hard to warm up. Even with a ceiling fan.

Now in my opinion, you will not be burning 24/7 full time in this outbuilding. You might think you will but it just won't happen. Keeping two stoves running is very rare even when they're both needed in the house. If you had to, the king would be the logical choice due to fuel capacity.

They are a little fugly. The other thing is, BK's only vent out the top, which won't work in my house. I need a side vented stove to replace my clunker and can't go BK
Surly you jest,this sits in a $400,000 house,it will do just fine in your garage in my opinion.
bk2.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Dairyman.

- I talked with a dealer in Lebanon who will make the trek out. That's about all I've found around Missouri from the BK site.

Highbeam, I hear ya about the two stoves. Best intentions anyway...
I will have to keep the shop stove going as there will not be another option for heat there. I plan to use it as my get away too.
I just bought a new splitter and went wild a few weeks ago. I've got about 3 cord split now. Its hard for me to judge how much I will need in a winter. I'm moving to a retirement home I've had for 12 years. So, I've been there in the winter on occasion, but not long periods. I hope to use wood as the primary for saving money, but also I enjoy it. But, I know it can lose its luster...

- I have a Regency insert in the home. Kinda wish it was the Princess knowing what I do now.
- I got good 'ol Missouri oak. I'll take your advise and not burn any junk.
- How did you insulate your slab?

oolongarm, I just recently saw a King with the feet. I like that style. Is the ash tray different than the others? Anything else different, better, or just style?

Thanks again guys. I'm enjoying getting in to this. The shop will be build after the first of the year. I'm trying to get it all lined up!!!

ksks

Last edited:
I have 2" of rigid foam insulation under and on the sides of my slab. I also installed the pex tubing for radiant slab heating but have not energized that system.

I have a king in my 40x72 shop that has 11 1/2ft ceilings. It has blown in insulation in the walls and ceiling. The king does a good job ,but i havent ever got too hot. When i am out there it will stay 68-70 deg on the coldest days, but it never got below 50 or so last winter. I keep the stove going probably 80-90% of the time and i also have a king in the house and keeping 2 of these going isnt a big deal at all. Iam located in northeast Missouri. Hechlers hearth and home is a dealer in Troy ,Mo..you might wanna check them out.

So you did not build the shop yet? Have you considered in floor heat? That is the best way to heat a shop I have seen.

Still in the planning stages of the build.
They should start by Feb I hope.

I don't know about heated floors. I could look into it but I'm maxed out on the money saved for it.
Not sure if it would be necessary in SO. MO?

Still in the planning stages of the build.
They should start by Feb I hope.

I don't know about heated floors. I could look into it but I'm maxed out on the money saved for it.
Not sure if it would be necessary in SO. MO?

The woodstove will be fine. I have worked in a lot of different shops and the in floor heat shops are always the best. Warming the slab up directly is probably the best possible way to heat a shop.

I'd at least put some insulation under the concrete. Probably wouldn't cost much to put the line in either. Give you the option for it later.

Now in my opinion, you will not be burning 24/7 full time in this outbuilding. You might think you will but it just won't happen. Keeping two stoves running is very rare
That's why I think a big non-cat might be a good choice.Something that will toss big heat in a hurry. If he's got stuff that absolutely must not freeze, he could make a small storage room with an electric heater. And he could get a 30 NC for 1/4 the price.
I will have to keep the shop stove going as there will not be another option for heat there. I plan to use it as my get away too.
Gotta have electric, correct? And what, or who, do you need to get away from? ;)
I've got about 3 cord split now. Its hard for me to judge how much I will need in a winter.
How long has it been split and stacked?

Thanks Dairyman.

- I talked with a dealer in Lebanon who will make the trek out. That's about all I've found around Missouri from the BK site.

Highbeam, I hear ya about the two stoves. Best intentions anyway...
I just bought a new splitter and went wild a few weeks ago. I've got about 3 cord split now. Its hard for me to judge how much I will need in a winter. I'm moving to a retirement home I've had for 12 years. So, I've been there in the winter on occasion, but not long periods. I hope to use wood as the primary for saving money, but also I enjoy it. But, I know it can lose its luster...

- I have a Regency insert in the home. Kinda wish it was the Princess knowing what I do now.
- I got good 'ol Missouri oak. I'll take your advise and not burn any junk.
- How did you insulate your slab?

oolongarm, I just recently saw a King with the feet. I like that style. Is the ash tray different than the others? Anything else different, better, or just style?

Thanks again guys. I'm enjoying getting in to this. The shop will be build after the first of the year. I'm trying to get it all lined up!!!

ksks
Ash pan is different better design,though haven't used it yet,obvious style is different,Parlor vs King,this stove seems like it fires up 50% quicker than the previous. By that I mean cat probe hits 12 o'clock reel quick.Twenty four honest burns on red spruce,tstat seems more sensitive. Seems like more heat is dissipated in a less amount of time,is it my imagination?I don't think so ,but these are my honest observations burning it only about 5 fires so far.

I bought a Sirocco 20 a few months ago. I live in Sterling, AK and my house is 1,000 sqft. It's just about perfect but can easily be too much if left on high

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

this stove seems like it fires up 50% quicker than the previous. By that I mean cat probe hits 12 o'clock reel quick....Seems like more heat is dissipated in a less amount of time,is it my imagination?....5 fires so far.
The new cat is gonna be real active at first, but will settle in a bit.

The woodstove will be fine. I have worked in a lot of different shops and the in floor heat shops are always the best. Warming the slab up directly is probably the best possible way to heat a shop.

So I actually have the option of a woodstove or to energize my in floor radiant heat and can tell you that I have not energized my radiant floor because it is not the best way to heat a shop. See, the floors need hot water and to heat water with wood you need to spend 10-15 THOUSAND dollars on a wood boiler system. Woodstove is only 600$.

If you somehow already have a wood boiler system set up and only need to tie in the floors then I would expect the comfort of a radiant slab to be superior.

From a construction cost perspective, you can't beat a woodstove or a hanging unit heater.

For maximum comfort, well, the sky is the limit. Radiant floors, suede couches with lovely women, etc.

you can't beat a woodstove or a hanging unit heater....suede couches with lovely women, etc.
With plate-steel tube construction, your stove will be fast; Hopefully, so are the women. ==c ^ He said 'hanging unit'...heh-heh.

With plate-steel tube construction, your stove will be fast; Hopefully, so are the women. ==c ^ He said 'hanging unit'...heh-heh.

Having both a plate steel cat and a plate steel non-cat running at the same time at my home right now, I have not found the cat stove to be much (if any) slower at delivering heat. They both warm up fast. I have used a soapstone non-cat and that thing took forever to heat up.

I have found the non-cat to be a much cleaner burner with regards to visible stack emissions, flue accumulations, and viewing glass cleanliness.

That's why I think a big non-cat might be a good choice.Something that will toss big heat in a hurry. If he's got stuff that absolutely must not freeze, he could make a small storage room with an electric heater. And he could get a 30 NC for 1/4 the price.
Gotta have electric, correct? And what, or who, do you need to get away from? ;)
How long has it been split and stacked?
I also agree with you ,get a big NC 30,a ton of wood and it should work for you,I wouldn't spend the $ on a BK for this particular application.

The Woodstock Soapstone Ideal Steel hybrid would be a good in between option too. Not only because it's what I have.
It has a nice big firebox (larger than princess but smaller than king), catalytic and non catalytic technology, takes a cheaper 6" flue, and it is a steel stove with soapstone options for better heat retention. It does not have a Blaze King thermostat, but is capable of 24+ hour burns if you find its sweet spots. Either way it will leave you a good coal bed that lasts for 24+ hours. It's base price is around $2000 +shipping depending on sales. Manufacturer direct.

The Woodstock Soapstone Ideal Steel hybrid would be a good in between option too. Not only because it's what I have.
It has a nice big firebox (larger than princess but smaller than king), catalytic and non catalytic technology, takes a cheaper 6" flue, and it is a steel stove with soapstone options for better heat retention. It does not have a Blaze King thermostat, but is capable of 24+ hour burns if you find its sweet spots. Either way it will leave you a good coal bed that lasts for 24+ hours. It's base price is around $2000 +shipping depending on sales. Manufacturer direct.
Twenty four hours at what temp?30's maybe,low teens 10 to 12 hrs realistically.Not knocking the stove in any way shape or form,just speaking from experiences relayed to me by two friends and one relative who own them.A beautiful stove ,seems well built,but 24 hours isn't a reality in low teen or sub teen temps.The BK will burn 40 hrs in 30 degree weather ,but not much usable heat. Coals,and a quick start up with dry wood is a reasonable expectation.Twenty four hours with BK's 4,4 cube firebox ,and serious dry hardwood is not only a reality but an expectation,this can be achieved with temps in the low teens and sub teens ,I don't go for marathon burning scenarios when temps dip into the 5 to 10 degree range,I know I'll get 15 hours with a house kept in the 70's,I don't ask anymore of a stove than that.That in itself is a feat ,I've had many stoves and know a little about what is fact and what is fiction.