Q&A Will Insert cure Smoking Fireplace?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

My fireplace smokes I believe as a result of air current problems. I have considered putting in a woodburning insert to increase the fireplace efficiency and wondered if the smoking problem would also be eliminated by the insert.

Answer:

It is very possible that an insert- lined to the top of the chimney with stainless steel pipe (you can extend the pipe a foot or two out the top) will solve the problem...and give you heat.I have checked the damper- flue (for blockages)- and chambers to find some clue as to the reason for the smoking. You can also put a special type of chimney cap (vacu-stak) on your reline pipe which makes the wind work in your favor instead of against you.

Status
Not open for further replies.