Will my stove scratch a stone hearth when moving it for service?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

NEGal

Sep 17, 2017
NEW HAMPSHIRE
We are remodeling our family room and discovered that the builder shorted the hearth by about 5" when we pulled back the carpet. Rather than adding an extra row of brick, we thought it would be nice to install a brown wave slab of stone, but now my husband is sure it's a bad move because the stove will scratch the stone every time we move it for service. I just wanted to see if this has been an issue for other people with pellet stoves who may have a stone hearth. My other alternative is to see if they will give me any credit for the stone and switch to a granite product that may be less likely to show scratches but I'm very time constrained because new wood floors are being installed the day after my mason is coming! Thanks for any advice you can give us.

Probably will scratch. Stove is heavy and anything abrasive that gets stuck under the base will be a problem

Yup, agree with Bioburner - it will probably scratch. I built my own hearth and used some type of stone tiles thinking they would be durable. Well, the stove scratched it immediately and later, the porous stone stains very easily from ash. If I had to do over, I would go with a dark color, hard porcelain tile (PEI rating of 4 or 5). Or better still, a dark through body porcelain tile (also called color body porcelain tiles), so if it chips, underneath the chip it looks the same.

Yup, agree with Bioburner - it will probably scratch. I built my own hearth and used some type of stone tiles thinking they would be durable. Well, the stove scratched it immediately and later, the porous stone stains very easily from ash. If I had to do over, I would go with a dark color, hard porcelain tile (PEI rating of 4 or 5). Or better still, a dark through body porcelain tile (also called color body porcelain tiles), so if it chips, underneath the chip it looks the same.
**Hi Guys...Repeating myself from another post, but if your stove has the option of a Rail Kit, you will avoid all this hassle and make service "great again", yeah I sad that. Silly me!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Zeus