Will This Insert Overheat My Space?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jengah

Nov 27, 2015
Shaver Lake
I have an 850 SF house up at about 4500 ft. elevation. It was built in the '70s with 2X4s and R12 insulation. I recently replaced all windows with double pane. The fireplace is in a 15X24 open room with a 14' vaulted ceiling three medium sized windows ans a 60" sliding glass door. There is a short hallway with two small bedrooms at the end of it.

I have the opportunity to get a Regency R14 (older version of the I2400) for a few hundred bucks. Winter days are in range from about 30 - 45 and nights run from about 20-40. I only rally use the place for weekends and an occasional week for skiing. I also have a wall furnace with blower to heat up the place when I first get there.

Is the R14 going to be too large for this size room? Everything I read from manufacturers suggest that a smaller unit with about a 1.6 cu ft. box would be better, but most of the comments I read on here say you can rarely go too big.

Opinions please...

I think you'll be fine, the higher ceilings is going to eat the heat up, also if it does get to warm either open a window or make smaller fires.

I think you'll be fine, the higher ceilings is going to eat the heat up, also if it does get to warm either open a window or make smaller fires.
Hi Kenny - but doesn't burning smaller fires create a lowe quality burns that produces more smoke and creosote along with faster burn times?

The insert is a bit oversized for the space and climate. An efficient 2.0 cu ft insert would probably work out better. The R14 could be unbearable with a full load of wood in a mild region until the temps drop into the 20s. For milder weather you may find yourself only able to burn partial loads which will mean more frequent reloads or just let it go out and restart again when more heat is needed. This thread may be helpful for comparison.
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/regency-r14.70291/

You might consider instead a ~ 2.0 insert from Century, Englander or True North. All will be under $1200. I think the Pacific Energy Super insert would work well here too but that is more expensive. Another good insert to consider would be the Enviro Kodiak 1700.

Last edited:
The insert is a bit oversized for the space and climate. An efficient 2.0 cu ft insert would probably work out better. The R14 could be unbearable with a full load of wood in a mild region until the temps drop into the 20s. For milder weather you may find yourself only able to burn partial loads which will mean more frequent reloads or just let it go out and restart again when more heat is needed. This thread may be helpful for comparison.
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/regency-r14.70291/

You might consider instead a ~ 2.0 insert from Century, Englander or True North. All will be under $1200. I think the Pacific Energy Super insert would work well here too but that is more expensive. Another good insert to consider would be the Enviro Kodiak 1700.
Hi Begreen - so according to DAKSY's calculations, I would need about 33,000 BTU's, (maybe round up to 40,000 due to the vaulted ceiling). I guess that falls in line with your suggestion for a 2.0 cu ft. box. Thanks for the input.

Status
Not open for further replies.