Willow Wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Bigger_Al

Feb 11, 2018
NW Arkansas
I just hauled this home. Its Orb Willow I was told. It blew over in some strong winds recently. I was told it would season in 6 months! Online I’m finding up to 2 years is better. I know this it’s not the best wood for a stove, but has anyone had experiance burning willow?

6337bffef9c5b21536865b97c3dc7bf8.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Jan Pijpelink
Never burned it, but if it's what you got, so long as you get it dry, it'll give some heat!

I burned weeping willow once--I'm not sure how quick it seasoned, but it burned when I used it about a year after cutting it. It left a ton of ash, smelled like taking a leak on a camp fire, and burned up quick--not exactly premium stuff. But hey, I just got done cutting up and splitting quaking aspen--burn what you got.

Reactions: moresnow and pen
Willow is not considered a very good wood . . . but it will still make heat. Best use perhaps is during the shoulder seasons.

Reactions: Jeffm1
I burned weeping willow once--I'm not sure how quick it seasoned, but it burned when I used it about a year after cutting it. It left a ton of ash, smelled like taking a leak on a camp fire, and burned up quick--not exactly premium stuff. But hey, I just got done cutting up and splitting quaking aspen--burn what you got.

Pisswood huh? I guess I’ll sub it in with oak and other hardwoods vs. burning it by itself. It was free after all.

I have burned willow. It is not the best firewood but when dry it is fine mixed in with harder woods. If you have plenty of space to store it and it is free then it is worth having.

I've burned a bit of willow over the years. Wood is wood, but I do agree with the comments; it doesn't smell good, isn't very dense and does't make the greatest firewood. But it'll burn if it's dry so what the heck.

You can look up charts online. From a woodworking background and knowing the janka hardness/density of a certain wood you can pretty much know how it's going to burn. Willow, basswood, popple, silver maple all won't give you that much heat. Start getting into 700+ on the janka scale and you are in business.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bigger_Al
It's gopher wood, but it burns better than snowballs! I use it to hold coals when burning pine, or for a short half load between morning and overnight loads on the owb. Free is free - I would take just about anything before willow, but if it's there and you're not skipping out on something better in order to get it, have a ball.

Yeah, it’s there for sure. I’ll burn some inside and see how it goes. If I can stand the smell I’ll burn some outside in the outdoor fireplace when it warms up outside.