Winch to pull logs (Size?)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Sorry, been away a few days. Not the greatest photos but here's my set-up:

IMG_20150923_154435_880.jpg IMG_20150923_154340_086.jpg
Pretty simple. (Note: Don't stand here when actually pulling just in case)
Answers for questions from above:
  • Most of my pulls are somewhere around 90 degrees from this road. So as others have mentioned, I pretty much use the snatch block just to change direction. (I also have a self releasing corner block that I built when I rarely need to change the load direction in the middle of a pull.)
  • That snatch block in the photo was from Northern Tool. Only a 1.5 or 2 ton rating if memory serves. Paid $17 for it off the non stock return rack several years ago.
  • The whoopee slings was made by a co-worker. That thing is by far the strong link.
  • There's a large heavy dock cleat mounted in the receiver for quick rope attaching and releasing.
It's really a pretty safe setup. If the rope breaks at the log end or the truck end, it's going to fly safely toward the block. If the snatch block actually breaks, it's going to safely fly off at an angle towards the woods. I've moved a lot of wood, never had anything break yet. The rope is a very low stretch design so hopefully the energy dissipates quickly if it should ever break between the truck and the snatch block. Ideally, I should throw a heavy blanket over that portion of the line for added safety.

The biggest problem I've found with using rope instead of cable is finding a helper who knows knots. Easier to have him/her drive while I do the rigging but now my legs are too far gone to climb around....
Many of my blocks are sort of home made. I am always watching for pulleys that will take a 3/4" rope that I can build into snatch blocks.
I have 8000 and 4000lb electric winches mounted on 2" receivers but they are very slow compared to a helper and the tractor, ATV or pickup.

Raising the dead, but I just finished this and it works great. Just thought I'd post it up to share another idea on what can be done. I intend on hauling lots of logs for cutting into lumber to rebuild the barn, and the tops can be used to fuel my wood stoves in the winter. Now that it's done I need to take it all back apart wife wheel it and paint it. It didn't cost all too much. About 60$ at the local scrap metal yard and a winch. Everything else I had laying around. Don't laugh at my welds... just learned how to stick weld on this build so they got better as I went along. Some mig welding in there which I was much more used to. Anyways enjoy.

IMG_4497.JPG
IMG_4505.JPG
IMG_4513.JPG
IMG_4518.JPG
IMG_4525.JPG
IMG_4526.JPG
IMG_4535.JPG
IMG_4536.JPG
IMG_4548.JPG
IMG_4565.JPG
IMG_0037.JPG
FAEFE75E-CD24-449B-80D6-6F3E08C67D00.JPG
IMG_4497.JPG

Reactions: jetsam and Lone_Gun
I like the design. I would add a protective steel rail/deflector on the top to protect the winch assemble from overhead obstructions such at limbs drive-thru stop, etc.