Wind Storm Delivery

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Dec 2, 2018
Maine
DBXR7065.JPG
DQOO1283.JPG

I can tell you this wasn't the way I wanted to get a delivery of firewood but the silver lining is this isn't my house and this is great maple for next year! Luckily the only damage to my neighbors house was two runs of vinyl siding cracked and the attic soffit window was broken. Every window had a branch resting against them! Looked much worse before I took the picture after trimming for several hours. Took a lot of time to get that taken apart with all the "loose" several hundred pound branches!

HehHeh . . . I brought my truck into work today with the hope of bucking up some wood here in Bangor after I get out of work . . . depending on how quickly the City Public Works folks get to them.

Reactions: JimBear
There should be a bunch down by Cohen off Garland. One caught on fire yesterday though when it hit the lines! I am out of room on my in town lot already this year...

Do you live or work in Bangor? Based on your reply I am guessing yes.

I came up empty . . . went to a few sites after work . . . only to find nothing but rotten wood at one place and the City-hired clean up crew at another. So I went home empty handed . . . and cut some wood that my neighbor said I could have!

Reactions: JimBear
Yes, I live in Tree Streets area and all the old trees coming down and the lack of people burning wood was half of my reason to put in a fireplace insert in our masonry fireplace. City just cuts stuff and leaves it at least a week in the area most of the time. If I see some stuff around the neighborhood I will let you know. I have a lot built up for the next couple years and the city will be taking down the other half of that Maple soon I am sure and I will have them leave it in my driveway.

That's even more strange. I figured someone would have chimed in by now. Maybe start another thread on them. I'm interested to know what they are myself.

Well the city finally sent the arborists to finish off our tree that snapped last Fall in a wind storm. The tree was growing on the city property between the sidewalk and the road. Wife told them to leave it on the road and I would clean it up when I got home. That thing really took all I had to be able to cut it up using my little 18" bar Echo I use!:eek: I am more than officially out of room in my backyard for stacking firewood. and I probably have a cord to cut up and stack left! Going to have to get creative/piss off the wife!

Attachments

• IMG_1632.JPEG
    IMG_1632.JPEG
    143.6 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_1634.JPEG
    IMG_1634.JPEG
    349.3 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_1822.JPEG
    IMG_1822.JPEG
    240.7 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_4714.JPG
    IMG_4714.JPG
    410.7 KB · Views: 79
Reactions: Riff and EbS-P
OMG, When you think you've seen it all!

I guess they like the wood fibers/powder. I used to work in construction for a time. We spent a couple of summers capping an old paper mill landfill. The landfill was full of grey paper sludge waste. They would pump it over from the mill into these big ponds. No trash, but millions and millions of these rat tailed maggots living in the sludge. One guy fell in, up to his armpits. I'm glad it wasn't me. I am also glad he had something to grab onto, because that stuff was so full of methane bubbles that I don't think you could swim or float in it. I think he would have just disappeared. It was about 30 feet deep. He came out covered in grey sludge that was wiggling.

Anyway, the paper sludge has lots of leftover wood fibers/cellulose. Some of the same materials as they would find in a rotten old wood powder inside a rotten tree.

If you are like me, you might be wondering why the paper mill would throw all of that away when they could dry it and use it as energy to help run the plant.

A more efficiently-run mill down the road would press the moisture out of their waste sludge and truck it over to their landfill. The landfill would then be capped, they would collect the methane and use it to run the plant, then later uncap the landfill, remove the remaining material and burn that! So not only did they make use of their waste to run the plant, they also reused the land where they had their landfill.

Interesting stories and that does look just like mouse tails--what a story---poor man---if I fell in I would have "night mares" especially with all that other stuff as well--terrible ordeal...clancey