Dantheman300z Posted By Dantheman300z, Jun 27, 2016 at 10:23 PM

1. Dantheman300z

Dantheman300z
    Burning Hunk 2.
    NULL

Dec 18, 2015
    Loc:
    Northeast IN
    So I bought a Danby 8k btu window a/c unit today to install in my wife and i's bedroom since our house has no central air. I get it home tonight and open it up, start reading the instructions and figuring out how to install it. There is a top "L" bracket that installs on the top of the unit and the window is suppose to slide down into so that it holds the unit. Well our new Anderson double hung windows are about twice as thick as what this "L" bracket is designed for. Is this a common thing with new windows? We're these windows never designed for an a/c unit? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Ashful

Ashful
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Mar 7, 2012
    Loc:
    Philadelphia
    Got a photo of what you're describing, or a model number / instruction manual for us to reference? I've installed quite a few window AC units, at least a few of them Danby, but can't picture what you're describing.

Do you mean the little shoes that keep one from opening the lower sash? They simply screw / tack to the face of the upper sash stiles.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Dantheman300z

Dantheman300z
    Burning Hunk 2.
    NULL

Dec 18, 2015
    Loc:
    Northeast IN
    DAC080EB3GDB

That is the model. There is a bracket that screws to the top of the unit that the window slides down into. It's one of the first steps.

4. begreen

begreen
    Mooderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Not following. The L bracket should just provide a stop. I would think the window thickness to be almost irrelevant especially if the L bracket position is slightly adjustable.

5. Lake Girl

Lake Girl
    Moderator 2.
    NULL

Nov 12, 2011
    Loc:
    NW Ontario
    Can the L be positioned two different ways ... maybe you are trying to install wrong direction?

heat seeker likes this.
  6. BrotherBart

BrotherBart
    Modestorator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Yeah. I have thick old double hung windows and the top bracket on my window A/C units are "L's" that just hold the top. Are you saying it is a channel shape?

7. heat seeker

heat seeker
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Feb 25, 2011
    Loc:
    Northern CT
    That's what I was wondering. But Lake Girl may be on to something there - maybe the bracket is facing the wrong way.

8. Dantheman300z

Dantheman300z
    Burning Hunk 2.
    NULL

Dec 18, 2015
    Loc:
    Northeast IN
    image.jpeg image.jpeg
    image.jpeg

9. Dantheman300z

Dantheman300z
    Burning Hunk 2.
    NULL

Dec 18, 2015
    Loc:
    Northeast IN
    And the unit is dac080eub7gdb not the previous one I posted.

10. Lake Girl

Lake Girl
    Moderator 2.
    NULL

Nov 12, 2011
    Loc:
    NW Ontario
    From the manual ....PLEASE NOTE: Window applications come in a variety of different styles. Therefore, it may be necessary to modify your particular installation.
    Looks like you have the L shaped piece in the right position on the top... Illustration looks like it should have sash drop into channel but that isn't going to happen with your window. Likely works with vinyl windows not wood....

11. peakbagger

peakbagger
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jul 11, 2008
    Loc:
    Northern NH
    I really hate the so called mounting kits that come with AC units. I ended up cutting a sheet of plywood the full width of the window and cutting a hole in it to fit the AC unit. I then put in a few screw holes in the window casing and was done with it.

12. maple1

maple1
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Sep 15, 2011
    Loc:
    Nova Scotia
    I would just cut that lip off with a grinder and make it look like a real 'L' so the window could rest in it.

I think.

Might also put a piece of sticky-tape foam insulation strip on the inside(s) of the L for things to rest against - so the unit isn't pushing into the window right on that L-edge. Or maybe even cut that little lip off too. And do the insulation strip.

sportbikerider78 likes this.
  13. begreen

begreen
    Mooderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    That is an U channel. That is somewhat goofy as an option given the variance in window thicknesses. I agree with the others, either cut off the short leg of the U or get a piece of 1.5" angle aluminum and make your own L bracket.

14. rustynut

rustynut
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Jan 5, 2008
    Loc:
    mid mich
    dtm, mine is like that pic you have here. Looks like the diff is my windows are side sliders and I have a piece of plexiglass which fits in the u channel which you are showing with the window sliding sideways into the unit to close it off. You may need an l shaped piece for your window to come from above to close it off. This may also require a side piece be fitted to close the side gap. rn

15. begreen

begreen
    Mooderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    If you opt for the angle metal I would add a foam gasket to the bottom of the window sill so that a seal is created when the window is closed down on the top of the metal.

16. sportbikerider78

sportbikerider78
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jun 23, 2014
    Loc:
    Syracuse, NY
    If this is too 'ghetto' for you, take the bracket to a metal fab shop with a brake and have them bend you a piece of aluminum that would fit.

I love me a good custom install.

Or just use a piece of right angle aluminum. Spray paint it glossy white. Boom....custom job that looks great.

17. Ashful

Ashful
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Mar 7, 2012
    Loc:
    Philadelphia
    Leave channel alone. That short leg of the "U" is to hold the frame for the side louvers. Window just comes down on top of short leg, behind taller leg, as you show it positioned in your first photo. No modification required (or desired).

18. maple1

maple1
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Sep 15, 2011
    Loc:
    Nova Scotia
    You might be right, but that's not what the diagram shows.

Actually, you likely are right, because mine is like that too.

Crappy diagram, I'd say.

Ashful likes this.
  19. Dix

Dix
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

May 27, 2008
    Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    Danby is not known for great manuals, warranty service, customer service, etc.

It'll get the job done, but as an FYI, don't expect it to last to long.

I've used plexi glass (cut to window size)when the side panels crap out. Cut open hole, insert AC, add some foam, and presto chango, instant ( well, not really :) ) instant custom install ;)

20. BrotherBart

BrotherBart
    Modestorator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    What I hear Dix. Was looking at a great deal on a Danby chest freezer at Costco this afternoon and really thinking about it. Until I got home and started looking at reviews.

Dix likes this.
  21. Dix

Dix
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

May 27, 2008
    Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    They suck.

You get what you pay for applies here.

22. Dantheman300z

Dantheman300z
    Burning Hunk 2.
    NULL

Dec 18, 2015
    Loc:
    Northeast IN
    Do more brand name window units have better designs? As much as I enjoy modifying things I do not wish to modify this thing to "work".

I do appreciate all the insight tho!

23. Ashful

Ashful
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Mar 7, 2012
    Loc:
    Philadelphia
    Most have a pretty similar top rail design, as it's required to retain the adjustable side louvers they all use now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

24. fbelec

fbelec
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 23, 2005
    Loc:
    Massachusetts
    put the window down into the channel and see if you can drive 1/2 to 3/4 inch screws from the channel into the window. then for insurance for the easy break in of your house cut a 1 inch by 1 inch block of wood the size of the area that goes from the top of the bottom sash to the top of the window frame and that window will not go up and the air cond can not fall out. that is what i do every year quick easy and safe.

25. maple1

maple1
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Sep 15, 2011
    Loc:
    Nova Scotia
    I don't think I would be screwing into my windows.

Ashful has this one nailed. Then when done and the upper window is lowered down onto that 'L' thing, you can cut a stick of wood the right length to hold it there, as mentioned above. Watch for places that could use some insulation strips. And I also tape any gaps when done to keep bugs out - we've got a lot of bugs. Ours is branded 'Simplicity', but it might be a Danby at heart.

Ashful likes this.