Window A/C unit help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dantheman300z

Burning Hunk
Dec 18, 2015
Northeast IN
So I bought a Danby 8k btu window a/c unit today to install in my wife and i's bedroom since our house has no central air. I get it home tonight and open it up, start reading the instructions and figuring out how to install it. There is a top "L" bracket that installs on the top of the unit and the window is suppose to slide down into so that it holds the unit. Well our new Anderson double hung windows are about twice as thick as what this "L" bracket is designed for. Is this a common thing with new windows? We're these windows never designed for an a/c unit? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Got a photo of what you're describing, or a model number / instruction manual for us to reference? I've installed quite a few window AC units, at least a few of them Danby, but can't picture what you're describing.

Do you mean the little shoes that keep one from opening the lower sash? They simply screw / tack to the face of the upper sash stiles.

DAC080EB3GDB

That is the model. There is a bracket that screws to the top of the unit that the window slides down into. It's one of the first steps.

Not following. The L bracket should just provide a stop. I would think the window thickness to be almost irrelevant especially if the L bracket position is slightly adjustable.

Yeah. I have thick old double hung windows and the top bracket on my window A/C units are "L's" that just hold the top. Are you saying it is a channel shape?

Yeah. I have thick old double hung windows and the top bracket on my window A/C units are "L's" that just hold the top. Are you saying it is a channel shape?

That's what I was wondering. But Lake Girl may be on to something there - maybe the bracket is facing the wrong way.

image.jpeg image.jpeg
image.jpeg

And the unit is dac080eub7gdb not the previous one I posted.

From the manual ....PLEASE NOTE: Window applications come in a variety of different styles. Therefore, it may be necessary to modify your particular installation.
Looks like you have the L shaped piece in the right position on the top... Illustration looks like it should have sash drop into channel but that isn't going to happen with your window. Likely works with vinyl windows not wood....

I really hate the so called mounting kits that come with AC units. I ended up cutting a sheet of plywood the full width of the window and cutting a hole in it to fit the AC unit. I then put in a few screw holes in the window casing and was done with it.

I would just cut that lip off with a grinder and make it look like a real 'L' so the window could rest in it.

I think.

Might also put a piece of sticky-tape foam insulation strip on the inside(s) of the L for things to rest against - so the unit isn't pushing into the window right on that L-edge. Or maybe even cut that little lip off too. And do the insulation strip.

Reactions: sportbikerider78
That is an U channel. That is somewhat goofy as an option given the variance in window thicknesses. I agree with the others, either cut off the short leg of the U or get a piece of 1.5" angle aluminum and make your own L bracket.

dtm, mine is like that pic you have here. Looks like the diff is my windows are side sliders and I have a piece of plexiglass which fits in the u channel which you are showing with the window sliding sideways into the unit to close it off. You may need an l shaped piece for your window to come from above to close it off. This may also require a side piece be fitted to close the side gap. rn

If you opt for the angle metal I would add a foam gasket to the bottom of the window sill so that a seal is created when the window is closed down on the top of the metal.

I would just cut that lip off with a grinder and make it look like a real 'L' so the window could rest in it.

I think.

Might also put a piece of sticky-tape foam insulation strip on the inside(s) of the L for things to rest against - so the unit isn't pushing into the window right on that L-edge. Or maybe even cut that little lip off too. And do the insulation strip.

If this is too 'ghetto' for you, take the bracket to a metal fab shop with a brake and have them bend you a piece of aluminum that would fit.

I love me a good custom install.

Or just use a piece of right angle aluminum. Spray paint it glossy white. Boom....custom job that looks great.

Leave channel alone. That short leg of the "U" is to hold the frame for the side louvers. Window just comes down on top of short leg, behind taller leg, as you show it positioned in your first photo. No modification required (or desired).

Danby is not known for great manuals, warranty service, customer service, etc.

It'll get the job done, but as an FYI, don't expect it to last to long.

I've used plexi glass (cut to window size)when the side panels crap out. Cut open hole, insert AC, add some foam, and presto chango, instant ( well, not really :) ) instant custom install ;)

What I hear Dix. Was looking at a great deal on a Danby chest freezer at Costco this afternoon and really thinking about it. Until I got home and started looking at reviews.

Reactions: Dix
What I hear Dix. Was looking at a great deal on a Danby chest freezer at Costco this afternoon and really thinking about it. Until I got home and started looking at reviews.

They suck.

You get what you pay for applies here.

Last edited:
Do more brand name window units have better designs? As much as I enjoy modifying things I do not wish to modify this thing to "work".

I do appreciate all the insight tho!

Most have a pretty similar top rail design, as it's required to retain the adjustable side louvers they all use now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

put the window down into the channel and see if you can drive 1/2 to 3/4 inch screws from the channel into the window. then for insurance for the easy break in of your house cut a 1 inch by 1 inch block of wood the size of the area that goes from the top of the bottom sash to the top of the window frame and that window will not go up and the air cond can not fall out. that is what i do every year quick easy and safe.

I don't think I would be screwing into my windows.

Ashful has this one nailed. Then when done and the upper window is lowered down onto that 'L' thing, you can cut a stick of wood the right length to hold it there, as mentioned above. Watch for places that could use some insulation strips. And I also tape any gaps when done to keep bugs out - we've got a lot of bugs. Ours is branded 'Simplicity', but it might be a Danby at heart.

Reactions: Ashful
Status
Not open for further replies.