Window Clearances

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack768

Sep 13, 2011
Long Island
Does anyone have any insight into whether windows (more or less floor to ceiling windows) have different code clearance requirements than combustible walls? I have a large great room -- high cathedral ceilings, skylights, a real problem to heat -- and would like, if the clearances work, to put in a large stove, e.g. Jotul F600, the new 2-in-1 VC Defiant, maybe a Woodstock. But there is no large expanse of wall -- it's windows every foot or so. Stove placement in the middle of the room won't work for other reasons, it needs to be a corner install or one parallel to the wall.

I see nothing in typical installation manuals treating windows differently from combustibles (other than that, for pellet stoves, you can't put an outside pellet vent near a window that can open, for obvious reasons), but I have gotten different answers from stove shops re whether this will work. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Good question Jack and welcome to the forum.

Hopefully someone else chimes in soon but I'd probably treat it like a combustible surface but would also exceed code if possible.

This got covered a few years back. Our corner install has an adjacent window, so I was concerned about the clearances and other issues. The clearances are the same whether they be to dry wall, the window sill or muntins. However, a point was brought up that glass with zero degrees on one side and 130F or higher on the other, might shatter due to a difference in expansion. I think someone reported that they actually had seen this happen, but can't find the thread right now. Maybe later.

Anyhow, it did make me nervous with the more radiant F400, but with the Alderlea T6 it's not an issue. My suggestion would be to install the stove with a bit more rear (or side if corner) clearance than the minimum and consider getting a jacketed, convective stove for peace of mind.

Thanks for the guidance. Will take a look at PE as well.

Thanks BeGreen. So it still stands that one should exceed code a bit and I've never thought exceeding code was a bad thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.