WINDOW CONDENSATION

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Todd

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
NW Wisconsin
What causes window condensation? Is it cold air leaking in? Or is it just from the temp difference between outside and inside? I have condensation on most of my upstairs windows. Especially 2 bedrooms. Sometimes there is so much it puddles up on the sills. Downstairs where the wood stove is located the windows are all fine. They are fairly new, dual pane, double hung windows. I re-caulked all windows this fall.

Dylan has it right, it sounds like there is more humidity upstairs. If not several heavy-breathers, check the bathroom venting. Is there a fan in the bathroom(s) and is it used when people take showers? If the windows are metal framed they will condensate worse. Metal is a great conductor of cold and a poor window material for northern climates.

Yeah, we simultaneously posted. Frank has it right on. (But I like the image your post creates. Honey, maybe we should try making love in the basement?)

Status
Not open for further replies.