Winter Firewood Festival

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Simonkenton

Minister of Fire
Feb 27, 2014
Marshall NC
Normally when I get firewood I cut it with my chain saw and split it with my Monster Maul.

But, there is a local guy who delivers firewood.

JRHOYFBl.jpg

This is a Chevy 3500 truck, it is a dump truck. It holds a lot of wood. $250 for the truck load, delivered.

i4sKijBl.jpg

He dumped it here near my house. It is mostly beech, with some oak.

K8XcMJGl.jpg

I filled up the main woodpile beneath the kitchen window, but there is still lots of wood left on the pile.

dihGxmil.jpg

We loaded up my brother's pickup and there is still lots of wood on the pile. I put a bunch of the wood in my woodshed and the woodshed is full.
I had to create a new woodpile on the other side of the house to stack up all this wood. This is a good way to get firewood, didn't have to crank up a chain saw, and only had to split some of the wood.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lone_Gun
That’s a great deal. Tell him to drive to MN and sell me some[emoji106][emoji41][emoji41][emoji38]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OK give me your address I will send him up your way.
Wood - $250
Shipping - $1800

Reactions: Ashful
It holds a lot of wood. $250 for the truck load, delivered.

"A lot" is a bit ambiguous.

How much is "a lot" in cords or cubic meters?

If unsure of the amount, then measure your pile. If you have a metric measure tape, then the m2 is direct, else if using imperial then 1 cord is 128 cubic feet.

Pretty standard for me to pay about $250 for a split cord (3.6 cubic meters) -- for black locust, oak or beech (locust is a bit cheaper actually). Which is why I no longer bother buying unsplit wood.

St. Coemgen: You live in Hungary? That is wild I didn't know our forum went international.
That truck bed is 8 feet wide and 9 feet long.

You have locust, oak and walnut in Hungary? I burn a lot of all three of those woods.

St. Coemgen: You live in Hungary? That is wild I didn't know our forum went international.

Or course. The Internet/Inter-webs reaches the entire planet. ;)

But, FWIIW, I am an American... Expat living here.

That truck bed is 8 feet wide and 9 feet long.

Depth? Assuming maybe 2 ft for depth, that would be 144 cubic feet. That is over a cord. You got a good price.

You have locust, oak and walnut in Hungary? I burn a lot of all three of those woods.

Oaks is native. A few different species. Some Hungarian oak is used to make wine barrels which are even imported into the USA.

Black locust is introduced from the USA. Not native. Actually classified as a "pest" in most of Europe because of their tendency to grow from root suckers.

Lots of Walnut. We have several walnut trees. They almost grow like weeds here. Constantly have to remove new sapling.