winter is over!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Dec 22, 2015
western New Hampshire
I'm calling it. 70° yesterday, 60° today, mud season going full bore and made some syrup last night. Spring is springing.
On the weekend I marked several beeches to be felled for burning. Hopefully I can get going on those soon.
Overall a pretty mild wintah, so I've got about a cord+ left over. This particular stack has a bunch of oak, so another summer will help it along.
One more weekend of kid hockey and then it's outside time. Looking forward to it.

Reactions: kvesi122
For some for sure, depending on their geographic location.

Yes, we're still heating 24/7 here. Lows have been in the 30s, highs in the low 40s.

We just saw ducks in the river, so we are calling it spring here on the coast. Inland and the North are still pretty cold. We are still burning every day for cooking, but we rarely light the Morso anymore.

We had our stove out for one day so far this month, on Sunday. Temps were 61/48, stove didn't run day or night and house only dropped to 68 down from 75. Lit the stove again last night, will keep it going 24/7 again till next 60 degree day. I run loads of pine or med sized cherry for day loads when the weather is 50 and up for the high.

It's back and forth here on being warm enough to leave the stove cold and then a day or two per week to justify burning. Typical spring weather here.

Been running my minisplit for heat the last few days with the boiler off line. I still have plenty of snow in the front yard and was out snowshoeing in short and sneakers yesterday. BTW when I moved up to northern NH it would be early April before we had conditions like this. A few years I carried snowshoes for the local mountains until Memorial Day.

Must be nice we are still burning 24/7 and will be for a bit yet

Still full on winter in northern Maine, glad I dont live there. I thought I was going to run short on wood so bought some Neil's, still have a cord of wood and half a pallet left.

I’m guessing one more fires this weekend when it’s supposed to cool off some. Maybe two. That should do it for the year! Didn’t burn half of what I expected to burn this year.

I just start a fire in the evening now and let it burn out , then the furnace takes over when house temperature drops to 64. 50’s daily about 30 overnight, the end is near.

Stopped burning last week and now focusing on 2022 wood supply. I've come to find out that while I only burn for 4.5 months, its really a year around process.

High of 50 today, low of 28 last night. I had a load in and reload this morning . Looks like more burning the next few days then maybe only nights after that. I haven't burned much in the past week though.