Winter work.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ohlongarm

Minister of Fire
Mar 18, 2011
Northeastern Ohio
I thought I was done with wood since I'm about 10 years set, this massive red elm just fell after standing dead for 10 years, this piece is just a branch, will take a picture of the whole tree later. It's going to take some doing but air dried red elm really burns well.

red elm.jpg

I've never cut or split it. I now see where it gets its name.

Elm. I see 21 million BTU per cord. pretty good.
I have seen a photo of my girlfriend's street in north Atlanta back in the Forties and the street was lined with huge 95 foot elm. It was just beautiful!
Then some disease hit and killed all the elm. I have never encountered an elm, in north Ga or in North Carolina, where I now live. Auf Wiedersehen to the Elm Trees of Dixie. Wie Schade.