Winterport 350 - passive heat loss when not operating

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Surfer77

Feb 9, 2011
Coastal NH
Hi, I have purchased a Jotul Winterport 350 fireplace insert. My assumption is that it draws in combustion air from the living space in my home. If so, when it is not operating....it is like leaving a 6" diameter flue open to the outside.

I am concerned that it is causing air, heated by my boiler, to flow out of the house.

I have set the air damper to its closed setting but I can still see the heat vapor leaving the top of the flue (outside) when the unit isn't or hasn't been running.

Ideally, I would like to be able to completely shut off all combustion air to the unit when it is not in use.

Has anyone dealt with this issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.