Winter's almost over (for my region), Who's happy??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ckarotka

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Sep 21, 2009
Northwest PA on the lake
I spent the first 50% of winter re-learning my old stove from info here. The next 25% learning a new stove, which does a much better job! Now that things are falling into place and the burning phase of woodburning has become more enjoyable, I wish that there was more winter left??!!?? Crazy eh?

March here normally brings some warmer weather (40's) and rain through April. (Cold mud season)

All in all this was a very informative winter for me, and when it comes to a close I will be looking forward to the next one with enough knowledge to enjoy 100% of it.

Enjoy whats left,
Charlie

I am not very far away from you, but I wouldn't say winter is over here. February is usually cold, and March, although it is brighter and seems better, can be quite cold and windy too. usually I don't think winter is over until the second or third week of march, and there is still some weather cold enough for heating after that.

I should have added that I hope you are right and winter is nearly over.

it depends on the lake. If it thaws quickly warmer weather usually follows quick, if not you're right cold to april. From our local almanac march's avg is 36 and april is 46. My heating demands decrease alot when it gets into the 30's. My wife runs the website for WJET yourerie.com on the weather page there is a link to an almanac that tracks daily highs and lows all the back to the 1800's. To me winter weather is below 30F anything above that is just chilly.

Our big lake doesn't freeze. It keeps us pretty warm in the fall but keeps our Springs pretty cool and we burn into May. As to your original post, I couldn't be happier. Both stove and fuel fell into place this year for the first time. Life is good.

Our lake never freezes, its full of salt. Burn until middle of April. Some times it snows in April.

Lake effect weather can be harsh (ask Buffalo) depending on wind direction. When it's frozen everyone gets the snow and rain, when its not the southern counties get more. Then weird weather happens also because of the lake but I'm no meteorologist I just play one on t.v. So if it thaws early the southern counties are still cold and the lake shore is cold from the air moving across the lake but a few miles south (my house) seems to be in a sweet spot and the air warms a bit before getting here. There are dramatic temp differences within miles of the lake at different times of the year.

I'm really going by avg temps and how my house reacts to colder temps. So MY winter is almost over cuz next month I will be burning 1-2 loads a day if the temp is anywhere near 40

I burn in May, and even had a neighbor years ago that would be heard to say "judas H. priest....had ta make fire in JUNE"

It ain't over til it's over and it ain't over yet!

Winter ended Dec 31st here. We are already into spring. Daffodils are starting to bloom. Crazy weather.

Shoot, we just got burning two weeks ago.. but I figure we will see another 3-4 weeks of stove weather. My wife would probably say 3-4 months...

We really havent had winter yet. Just a few -30s and thats it. Havent even had to plug my truck in yet. I dont know if this is good or bad. Ive seen it -40 for the month of FEB, soooo we will see. We were above freezing again today.

I'm counting the days.

Some folks here who've been burning for as many years as I have seem to still be madly in love with it. I'll bet they wear sandpaper underwear as well.

Me? I make the most of it - enjoy what I can and always try to learn something new every year - but it's all about staying warm in the end. Spring does an even better job of that than my stove does.

Give me a canoe and my fly rod, a nice remote trout pond, and a good pour of whisky, a cigar and a nice campfire at the end of the day. Now that's heaven.

Normally I would not be wishing for an early end to winter. Having a fantastic new Oslo makes woodburning a treat, too. But, I've only got a few weeks of seasoned wood left on the stack, so I do hope that the end of winter coincides reasonably closely with the end of wood.

BeGreen said:
Winter ended Dec 31st here. We are already into spring. Daffodils are starting to bloom. Crazy weather.

Until I see photos I'm going to continue to think you are experiencing the effects of CO poisoning and must be hallucinating. :) ;)

Lots and lots of winter weather to come. Snowing right now here. I am hoping for an early Spring though.

Battenkiller said:
I'm counting the days.

Some folks here who've been burning for as many years as I have seem to still be madly in love with it. I'll bet they wear sandpaper underwear as well.

Me? I make the most of it - enjoy what I can and always try to learn something new every year - but it's all about staying warm in the end. Spring does an even better job of that than my stove does.

Give me a canoe and my fly rod, a nice remote trout pond, and a good pour of whisky, a cigar and a nice campfire at the end of the day. Now that's heaven.

I'm with ya brother...well, up to the canoe part....my boat needs a motor on the front or back and preferably both. :coolsmile:

We will burn till sometime in late may. We have had snow on fouth of july that cancelled the fireworks, so we can burn 12 months too although it wouldnt be 24/7. Only -9 F this morning.

Backwoods Savage said:
Lots and lots of winter weather to come. Snowing right now here. I am hoping for an early Spring though.
+1 Yes, there could still be a lot of winter yet. Normally, almost every year without fail, I have my last fire of the season in the stove on Memorial Day Weekend. Usually sometime in April I can slack off on the 24/7 burning a little. Even when I see the crocuses blooming, I'm still not convinced Spring is here.

I got over a foot down outside with another 1-2 feet coming tonight into tomorrow.. winter ain't over here this year.

We got a good snow deposit here, but it has since let up and the roads are fine. Looks like we'll have a repreive today but have another low pressure spot blowing in. Although I LOVE a major snow, I'm running down on the wood. But lesson learned and this summer I'll really get crackin'................

P.S. And now it's a real pleasure with a clean fuel filter, the saw really jams now.........

BeGreen said:

No kidding. Up here in Bellingham I don't think we've even had a frost since Christmas. Really wierd. Of course we're buring into May some years too just to get rid of the chilly damp...

Up here winter last through March and the 1st week of April.

zap

I want spring and shoots breaking through all over the yard, starting maters and such indoors, spending time outside pulling mug handles on the deck with my dogs bugging me. That's usually in April, then it's cold again, then May.

ya we got a ways to go here i burn into may i live right near the ocean so until thats warm i keep burning.

Status
Not open for further replies.