Wiring a second thermostat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Tcatrider99

Nov 8, 2018
Newport NY
Year's ago I had an outdoor boiler and am currently hooking one up again. I have everything hooked up but I'm stuck on how to wire in my second thermostat. What I have is a thermopride oil fired furnace with a heat exchanger in the plenum to transfer heat from the OWB. I want to retain use of the oil furnace (set at a lower temp) in case the OWB goes out. I want the second thermostat (set at a higher temp) to run the furnace fan to blow through the exchanger in the plenum. I had this set up on my last system but cat remember how to wire it. The second thermostat I'm using is a white Rogers 110v. Any help would be extremely appreciated.

If you don't have AC and 24v.terminals you might have to relay the actual 110v. fan wire.
What I'm describing below is just a guess not having seen the wiring.
I'd use a second transformer to run the second t-stat, and a 90-370 relay (spdt) to start the fan.
W on the new thermostat would power the 24v
coil on the relay, and the NO would have constant 110 v. power to it, NC would be fed by the original fan power, the terminal common to both NO & NC would go on to the fan.
Basically fan power just runs straight through the relay as it did originally unless the new stat calls for heat. Then it breaks from original source and sends 110v. power also but it can't backfeed.
Clear as mud I'm sure. I don't have the relay numbers in my head, I think the coil is 1 & 3.

If you don't have AC and 24v.terminals you might have to relay the actual 110v. fan wire.
What I'm describing below is just a guess not having seen the wiring.
I'd use a second transformer to run the second t-stat, and a 90-370 relay (spdt) to start the fan.
W on the new thermostat would power the 24v
coil on the relay, and the NO would have constant 110 v. power to it, NC would be fed by the original fan power, the terminal common to both NO & NC would go on to the fan.
Basically fan power just runs straight through the relay as it did originally unless the new stat calls for heat. Then it breaks from original source and sends 110v. power also but it can't backfeed.
Clear as mud I'm sure. I don't have the relay numbers in my head, I think the coil is 1 & 3.

The second tstat (that is the one that was used when we had this set up before) only has the power, neutral, and ground wires coming out of it and running to the furnace (but not hooked anywhere currently). I don't remember ever having a second relay. This pic is of the wires in my oil furnace. Not sure if that helps...,
1108182003.jpg

Yes, that's a relay and transformer hanging down. Called a fan center, does the same thing.