wish i could screw up like the weather man and still be employed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Best I ever saw was back in the nineties. I was in St. Louis on business and there was absolutely no snow in the forecast from anybody on the East Coast. Got two feet. I couldn't come home because the airports were closed here.

When I finally got back I turned on my favorite weather guy. You saw nothing but the desk. Then his full face moved inches across the camera lens. He said:

"The good news is, I still have a job."

It was hilarious.

Only job I know of where you can be wrong 6 days out of 7 & not get fired.Even politicians will eventually get voted out if they really mess up.

Oct 4, 1987 a very small region of Berkshire County (thats the western most county of MA) got 18" of snow overnight, surrounding areas got some rain, but not even much of that. Only one weatherman even predicted the possibility...same guy we still listen to today.

BrotherBart said:
Best I ever saw was back in the nineties. I was in St. Louis on business and there was absolutely no snow in the forecast from anybody on the East Coast. Got two feet. I couldn't come home because the airports were closed here.

When I finally got back I turned on my favorite weather guy. You saw nothing but the desk. Then his full face moved inches across the camera lens. He said:

"The good news is, I still have a job."

It was hilarious.
Thats funny! Realize they don't have a job because they are right. They have a job because of their ratings, possibly tied to their forecasting but more likely their ability to get people to watch them (good looking, funny, personality etc).

You did get snow.
Have they sent you a bill for the overage ? :)

I love the way everyone in the country likes this joke yet knows nothing about it...

If you knew anything about the weather, it would go something like this...

- a 5 day forecast means absolutely nothing. Sure that could be the case 5 days out but weather is just not that predictable. That is why they are called weather patterns.

- Weather is relatively predictable at 24-36 hours out - nowhere near 100 predictable.

- As for predicting 4-8 and getting 18-20, well in many storms it is a very fine line as to where the stronger bands of snow will hit. in this case you got hit on the nose. We got 12 inches and they were predicting 6 - big deal. Did you even look at the radar of that storm as it approached? Do you even know it was actually 2 storms back to back? It was impossible to tell exactly who would get hit the hardest. You are luck you even know snow was coming...

"wish i could screw up like the weather man and still be employed"

No problem, run for office.

I love their '30 & 60 day outlooks'. :lol: They cant even get it right one week out with all their 'superdoppler magic radar gear'.I still swear by the Old Farmer's Almanac,nothing is perfect but they get it right more than The Weather Channel or your local tv station.

woodmeister said:
They were calling for 4-8 we got 18-20. It's been a funny winter and these weather guys make it more interesting than it should be.

HehHeh . . . you sound exactly like my brother in law in Stafford Springs last night when he called to talk to me . . . said something along those same lines about expecting 4-8 inches and ending up with 19 inches of heavy, wet snow . . . the real kicker is he spent 2-3 hours the day before digging his snowmobile trailer out of the snow from his mom's house as he was hoping to haul a sled up here to Maine . . . figured he could deal with only 4-8 inches . . . surprised . . . well maybe that's the wrong word . . . ticked off to find as much snow as it was.

CTwoodburner said:
I love the way everyone in the country likes this joke yet knows nothing about it...

Bitching about weather forecasters and the Postal Service are hallowed traditions. Both do a good job. But I bet that weather men groan about the Postal Service and the Postal employees probably groan about weathermen. :lol:

Something that was funny a few years ago was the local weather guys forecasting a big snow storm. Two weeks out! Every day they said it again and again.

And just like clockwork we got hammered and everybody was surprised.

....and, the majority of conversations start off talking about the weather or at least somewhere in the early going. Funny thing is, even though a lot of people complain about them not getting it right those same people will be sure to see the weather on TV next time they turn the tube on.

I gave up on weather and local news(mainly about fires and accidents to people I don't know) a long time ago....my bones tell me when the pressure is changing and the clouds will tell you a lot about weather to be expected in the next 12 to 24 hours.

BrotherBart said:
CTwoodburner said:

Bitching about weather forecasters and the Postal Service are hallowed traditions. Both do a good job. But I bet that weather men groan about the Postal Service and the Postal employees probably groan about weathermen. :lol:

Something that was funny a few years ago was the local weather guys forecasting a big snow storm. Two weeks out! Every day they said it again and again.

And just like clockwork we got hammered and everybody was surprised.

Uh you don't want to say anything about the post office Brother Bart . . . trust me . . . they may deliver a postcard mailed in 1956 53 years later or deliver your mail to your neighbor and vice versa . . . but write anything about them and it gets back to them . . .

True story. I wrote a humor column in a small county newspaper and a couple days later my aunt who worked for the post office was called by a supervisor to "do something about the article written by your nephew". I kid you not . . . she politely told them that there was such a thing as freedom of speech and she had no control over what I wrote. :) ;)

My BIL and his wife both work for the post office. My FIL retired from the PO. The post office is the only topic I don't get into with them. They are VERY sensitive about that, and often need soft words and hugs if they hear anyone bitching about the PO. I'm serious, they take it personally.

Beetle-Kill said:
My BIL and his wife both work for the post office. My FIL retired from the PO. The post office is the only topic I don't get into with them. They are VERY sensitive about that, and often need soft words and hugs if they hear anyone bitching about the PO. I'm serious, they take it personally.

It's a whole other culture . . . went to a retirement party for my Aunt and there were a bunch of postal workers . . . did a "humorous" skit that involved Form 32-12a and Form 23-45B and other postal references that were totally obscure to us normal people, but were apparently a laugh out riot to the postal workers in attendance . . . it was kind of trippy to see these guys rolling in the aisles while the rest of us just kind of sat there with a glazed look in our eyes . . . and yes . . . don't ever diss the postal service or reference going "postal" . . . they're wicked defensive about those sorts of things . . . and really . . . it's best to keep them calm and not agitate them. ;) :)

+100 on the "non-agitation", better to bite your tongue than to have it cut out. BTW- one of they're biggest groan points is that they can ship stuff "waaay" cheaper than DSL or UPS or FedEx. make a comparo. on pricing they say, you'll see. I haven't checked, but it may be worth looking into.

Status
Not open for further replies.