Wishing I was burning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have enough chores around the house and yard (aside from getting fire wood) to keep me busy enough until burning season.

It's too dang hot to think about a fire inside! We got another gift from the wood fairy so more CSS to do...and in this heat/humidity, it's enough to put me off wanting to be burning. Plus I'm watching the remenents of a bonfire burn down right now, so we've just moved that outside. I second gardening, I'm getting there on a decent cottage garden now-no rush to get to "indoor" season yet, still enjoying the outdoor work!

If you don't already, start gardening. I find when I'm getting sick of woodburning it's time to start gardening and when I'm tired of gardening it's about time to start burning.

The tractor in my avatar gets used. More mowing than gardening but we do have 30 pumpkin plants that are currently setting pumpkins along with onions and lettuce. 8 fruit trees. I have lots of other hobbies but when I come inside after it gets dark at about 10 o'clock, I miss watching the fire.

I did go through the BK last night and thoroughly cleaned and vacuumed the firebox and glass. Still need to sweep the chimney. We are way past burn season now. I have 3-4 years of wood stacked up and drying right now.

The project list is extensive and I'm getting over woodburning withdrawals now. It was a long road this year but I think I made it.

Wow that's a lot of pumpkins. Do you do a neighborhood pumpkin patch in October for the local kids?

Wow that's a lot of pumpkins. Do you do a neighborhood pumpkin patch in October for the local kids?

Yes, well sorta. We usually end up with 50-80 pumpkins and have a huge pumpkin party where all of our friends bring their families and the kids all gut and carve pumpkins in one big shot. No less than 30 pumpkins get carved that day and lots of cider (hard and soft) and beer are consumed. Bonfire for sure. I throw all the guts back into the garden for compost and good times are had by all.

Then we take at least a dozen to the food bank where they are snatched up by folks that are not going to eat them. At least, I highly doubt they know how.

The remaining pumpkins are loaded into the pickup and I take them to work where I let people take what they want. Any leftovers come back and are fed to the neighbor cows. Cows love pumpkins but it really helps them if you wack it in half before feeding.

We are trying out the mason bees this year for better pollenation. Usually we manually pollenate the female flowers to increase yield.

Sounds like fun and a good time for all.

Yes, well sorta. We usually end up with 50-80 pumpkins and have a huge pumpkin party where all of our friends bring their families and the kids all gut and carve pumpkins in one big shot. No less than 30 pumpkins get carved that day and lots of cider (hard and soft) and beer are consumed. Bonfire for sure. I throw all the guts back into the garden for compost and good times are had by all.

Then we take at least a dozen to the food bank where they are snatched up by folks that are not going to eat them. At least, I highly doubt they know how.

The remaining pumpkins are loaded into the pickup and I take them to work where I let people take what they want. Any leftovers come back and are fed to the neighbor cows. Cows love pumpkins but it really helps them if you wack it in half before feeding.

We are trying out the mason bees this year for better pollenation. Usually we manually pollenate the female flowers to increase yield.

Who'da thought you could get so much good karma from a pumpkin patch...? Kudos for doing all that cool stuff....

Status
Not open for further replies.