With new EPA standards in 2020, should I wait to buy?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yakim

Nov 20, 2018
Ann Arbor
Greetings!
My wife and I are looking to buy a wood insert for our fireplace, but are in no great rush. Should we hold out until the fall of 2019 in anticipation that the new emissions standards might lead to lower prices on current stoves? Any sense of how market prices will respond? I've read threads suggesting that maybe the rules will be delayed, and perhaps delay or no delay we can't expect a flood of soon-to-be-noncompliant stoves in 2019.

Thanks for reading the tea leaves on this one,

Greetings!
My wife and I are looking to buy a wood insert for our fireplace, but are in no great rush. Should we hold out until the fall of 2019 in anticipation that the new emissions standards might lead to lower prices on current stoves? Any sense of how market prices will respond? I've read threads suggesting that maybe the rules will be delayed, and perhaps delay or no delay we can't expect a flood of soon-to-be-noncompliant stoves in 2019.

Thanks for reading the tea leaves on this one,
Many on the market are already compliant and they will also be able to sell off old stock that is not. I wouldnt expect much of any discounts

Reactions: UrbanBrnr
We will need to sell off many of our displays, and a few from stock. They will sell easily for the most part, probably be 20% off I’d think. Not a huge savings, but it’s still a quality product that’s proven. That may not be the case with some of the stoves coming out. ?

Reactions: redktmrider
We will need to sell off many of our displays, and a few from stock. They will sell easily for the most part, probably be 20% off I’d think. Not a huge savings, but it’s still a quality product that’s proven. That may not be the case with some of the stoves coming out. ?
Many stoves already proven and for sale meet the new standard i dont get why you seem to be so against moving forward.

Reactions: webby3650
I’d buy now while the selection of good units with proven track records are still plentiful. I’ve been stove shopping myself lately and have really been hearing some funny stories on the new rules like stoves won’t have any draft controls and will only run wide open

I’d buy now while the selection of good units with proven track records are still plentiful. I’ve been stove shopping myself lately and have really been hearing some funny stories on the new rules like stoves won’t have any draft controls and will only run wide open
We have that now on the really cheap stuff. With every new set of standards stoves have gotten better. Yet every time people make a big fuss about how it will destroy our stoves. It will be fine

Many stoves already proven and for sale meet the new standard i dont get why you seem to be so against moving forward.
I’m not against moving forward when the proper steps are taken. You are correct, many manufacturers have units already approved for the new regulations. Some are trying, some don’t seem to be doing anything about it. Maybe they will come out with some really innovative stoves? I hope so.
It’s funny to me to hear a few manufacturers that have always been down on catalytic stoves are now promoting them like it’s the way to go. ;lol

Reactions: UrbanBrnr
Thanks for the feedback! I think we're going to move forward, just have to settle on a make and model. Easy peasy
;-)

Are all stoves going to be catalytic?

<<Many stoves already proven and for sale meet the new standard i dont get why you seem to be so against moving forward.>>

Has the Congress passed a law requiring new standards? I don't remember that happening.

<<Section 1. All legislative Powers herein granted shall be vested in a Congress of the United States, which shall consist of a Senate and House of Representatives.>>

One of our greatest protectors of liberty is that Congress has to adopt laws before they can use government power to enforce them. Just not possible for every alphabet soup bureaucracy to usurp the power of the constitution and Congress, is it?

Reactions: mobowhntr
Re "
One of our greatest protectors of liberty is that Congress has to adopt laws before they can use government power to enforce them. Just not possible for every alphabet soup bureaucracy to usurp the power of the constitution and Congress, is it?"

My understanding is the federal agencies have great leeway in implementing laws. They don't go against congressional intent, but they are responsible for writing detailed rules

Status
Not open for further replies.