Wolf

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MTY

Feeling the Heat
Jan 9, 2019
Idaho
Just before dark I was sitting on the porch with the dog wondering why I had only seen one deer tonight. I looked up the hill toward the cistern and lo and behold a wolf was watching me and the dog. It was alone and about 75 yards away. I heard a wolf howl last Friday night in the canyon below me.

Now I have to come up with a plan to keep the dog from being eaten.

Just before dark I was sitting on the porch with the dog wondering why I had only seen one deer tonight. I looked up the hill toward the cistern and lo and behold a wolf was watching me and the dog. It was alone and about 75 yards away. I heard a wolf howl last Friday night in the canyon below me.

Now I have to come up with a plan to keep the dog from being eaten.
I would be tempted to get my dog some buddies- 3dogs makes a pack.

I didn't know there were still wolves in Idaho.

Wolves are a big problem in Idaho. The state recently authorized a massive reduction in population. The wolves have decimated the elk herds in several areas.

He was back this morning, I spotted him watching from behind the old wood shed about 25 yards from the porch. It looks like a young one, probably a male run off from the pack and looking for food and to form his own pack.

No deer again this morning. I had a good sized flock of turkeys, so I figured he had moved on. Wrong again.

Wolves are a big problem in Idaho. The state recently authorized a massive reduction in population. The wolves have decimated the elk herds in several areas.

He was back this morning, I spotted him watching from behind the old wood shed about 25 yards from the porch. It looks like a young one, probably a male run off from the pack and looking for food and to form his own pack.

No deer again this morning. I had a good sized flock of turkeys, so I figured he had moved on. Wrong again.
I got the coyotes around my place ,keeping the deer herd down somewhat.them bloody deer ate all the nice maple trees I planted.

I have 968 trees ordered for planting this coming April. Each one will have a plastic cage to keep the deer from eating them.

I didn't know there were still wolves in Idaho.
There are wolves throughout the northwest. Some were also introduced to Yellowstone 25 yrs ago. They have made a positive improvement on the environment by keeping the elk herds in balance. This in turn has really helped the aspen forests recover. They have also helped improve the health of the elk herds by weaning out the weak and sick. Diversity is important for a healthy ecosystem.

Friend is from the Sandpoint area. Large ranch. They would keep loaded rifles by open windows.

I would not let that wolf hang out around my house like that. He would be relocated.

I stopped in at the ranger station at Mirror Lake (central WI) and noticed some animals mounted on display - deer, turkey, bear, wolf, racoons, that kind of thing - a cross section of the local wildlife. I asked, so how many wolves are there in this area - oh, about 10-12, PACKS. That surprised me, because I'm only 90mi south, and would consider the area here "mostly" free of wolves, (and bears). Maybe a stray wandering about, but a sighting would be very rare.
900 wolves are in the state total. 30-40 pets are reported killed by wolves in a year.
Cwd can be a problem with the deer herds. And winter starvation. Both due to overpopulation issues. I can still remember the "first deer print" on the ground that I saw on the farm, during the early 70s. The populations were not always this high. Now they are all over, all times of the year. Maybe we'll start seeing more wolves around here too.

I would not let that wolf hang out around my house like that. He would be relocated.
Around here we relocate them with a 30-30 round
No ifs ands or buts they are too hard on our livestock

Reactions: Highbeam
I can't say I blame them.
She said that she rode a horse to school and carried a gun. She's my age, so this woule be late 1960s - early 1970s. Said she had her permit at a really young age.

She said a rifle by a window fell over and fired in the house. Her dad said thay maybe he should have the safeties on.

Reactions: SpaceBus
She said that she rode a horse to school and carried a gun. She's my age, so this woule be late 1960s - early 1970s. Said she had her permit at a really young age.

She said a rifle by a window fell over and fired in the house. Her dad said thay maybe he should have the safeties on.
I keep a pair of loaded high powered air rifles near the door/window, but they do have safeties on! Haven't had any ground predators, wolves or otherwise, just flying ones. I did see a porcupine walk by the house once, we scared each other when I opened the front door. My dog has been skunked twice, I hope to never see either of them again.

There used to be wolves in Maine, but I believe them all to be expatriated, although there could be some in the uninhabited North Country.

I keep a pair of loaded high powered air rifles near the door/window, but they do have safeties on! Haven't had any ground predators, wolves or otherwise, just flying ones. I did see a porcupine walk by the house once, we scared each other when I opened the front door. My dog has been skunked twice, I hope to never see either of them again.

There used to be wolves in Maine, but I believe them all to be expatriated, although there could be some in the uninhabited North Country.
I've trapped and relocated 8 skunks here this year.had mamma bear and 2 little ones come by last night

20210408_063703.jpg 20210907_062516.jpg

Well my friend used a connibear to get the skunk under his cabin.i told him to live trap it but he would not listen.anyways he caught it and it sprayed under his cabin.5 thousand to get the place fumigated.lesson learned.

I use live traps for certain things. Luckily I’ve never caught a skunk. What do you do then? Wouldn’t you get sprayed trying to move the trap?

I use live traps for certain things. Luckily I’ve never caught a skunk. What do you do then? Wouldn’t you get sprayed trying to move the trap?
Nope,I just walk up to the trap on the end where the door is closed,he cannot see you and I throw a blanket over the trap and good to go,pick the trap up and take them about 10 miles away.the tricky part is when you open the door and latch it open to get outta there fast.

Reactions: Highbeam
city boy here talking. what is the difference between a wolf and a coyote

Wolfs are pure breed bigger stronger and more aggressive
Coyote are crossbreeds smaller and will live closer to man
in fact, they live in cities {big parks) This makes them very dangerous
to dogs and cats but they normally run from people unless they have rabies.

Or throw a tarp over it and don't worry about it. When I catch live rats from my garden I drown them. Dark, I know, but the most humane thing to do.

Different species of canids, and both can breed with domestic dogs. Wolves are pack animals and coyotes (usually) are not. As mentioned wolves are generally much heavier and larger. Coyotes rarely grow above 45 lbs, but wolves can reach over 180 lbs. Generally speaking coyotes are also scavengers while wolves are pack hunters. Contrary to an earlier comment coyotes are not cross bred dogs and wolves.

Now, there are some "Coywolves" and "Coydogs" out there, but not in great numbers.

Reactions: stoveliker