Continuation of BK Princess thread which turned into...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Rearscreen

Minister of Fire
Dec 21, 2014
Vermont
My 85 year old relative who had a Garrison with holes as wide as in an old pair of underwear in it and fed it 8 cords of wood that he split and handled himself wanted a new stove (I demanded it). We looked at inserts (BK) and stoves but lo and behold on his front porch was a Sierra 7000/8000 model all rusted on the outside as a plant stand. I dismissed it, but inquired and Brotherbart was knowledgeable and said that it might have a cat in it. It did. The relative cleaned it up (the stove) and sprayed it. We installed and fired it up. At first, he kept looking at it and comparing it to the 8 cord Garrison. "I'm not liking this, the fire isn't burning" I kept saying just watch the temp gauge (which he never used on his old stove). He always had a roaring fire in his Garrison feeding it constantly.
So, after a few hours of burning, endless questions, engaging the cat and observing the smoke from the stack, it finally was determined that indeed the cat was working (you can see it glowing from the window BUT a further discussion on this later) and the amount of wood during the day not consumed began to amaze the "old timer". I kid you not, once it was burning for way much longer than he ever imagined on a load of wood HE began to tell ME how a Cat works.
Anyway, I leave as he is burning (this was basically a test and a good time to burn off the paint) and when I get back. "There was an explosion" Well, what he did, since there was no "fire" (but the temp was high) he opened the door, stirred it, shut the door, smoke filled the firebox then opened the air. Let's just say, that Jesus moment drilled it into him, if you don't see a flaming fire, that's not necessarily bad - leave it alone. Look at the thermometer. Thought I'd share this. I will include a pic later in this thread.

Last edited:
Bet he had to change his shorts! Good story on another convert, I hope.

Great story! And I hope I'm still burning and making my wood when I'm 85!

It will probably take him a while to not want to play with the fire and just let it do its thing. It's one thing if he was 40 but 85, lot of years of habits to break. I'm impressed you got this far so quick.

Debs dads stove.JPGThis is the rusty stove that came from porch with Gardenias on it as a plant stand. It was all rusty brown until he painted it (85 years old and has nephropathy in both feet - cant feel them) . So, here is my first question. Fired it up, got to 350 stove top temp, engaged the cat, (I wasn't sold, convinced that looking at the stack that it kicked off) then disengaged it raised temp more (500) then re-engaged it and the stack was clear. I then at one point looked up and at an angle and could see the cat (s) on the edge glowing red like a toaster. All good. Then a half hour later, temp dropped a tad to about 450, there was no more glow. Any thoughts?
He's getting a certified pad for the front where the wood floor is. Oh you see a speed bump? Yup. Amazing. All he kept saying how his grass is still growing green, how much rain there is, how different it is humidity wise (this is an old timer with history on his side and sees how his environment is different but never mentioned the CC word) plus he stacks cords of wet wood in the basement right below. All I told him is now that you have a window to watch the fire, that you will be watching that more than you will be watching TV. He only watches one news channel.
I suspect the flooring guy way back when didn't leave 1/2 inch expansion room at both ends.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrotherBart
The cats not always going to glow, it's still working even if it's dark and the temps up. Good way to clean the cat during the season is to spray it with vinegar and distilled water then rinse it with distilled water and let it dry.

View attachment 229288This is the rusty stove that came from porch with Gardenias on it as a plant stand. It was all rusty brown until he painted it (85 years old and has nephropathy in both feet - cant feel them) . So, here is my first question. Fired it up, got to 350 stove top temp, engaged the cat, (I wasn't sold, convinced that looking at the stack that it kicked off) then disengaged it raised temp more (500) then re-engaged it and the stack was clear. I then at one point looked up and at an angle and could see the cat (s) on the edge glowing red like a toaster. All good. Then a half hour later, temp dropped a tad to about 450, there was no more glow.
It doesn't need to glow, but 450F is low for an active cat temp. It may be depleted.

How exactly are you measuring the cat temp? Probe should be downstream of cat, centered on face, and within a few inches of the combustor.

It doesn't need to glow, but 450F is low for an active cat temp. It may be depleted.

How exactly are you measuring the cat temp?
Since I have a Progress, I never get to see the cat while it's active. On this Sierra you can see just the edge and it was pretty neat to see it a bright orange and hardly a fire in the firebox. I'm glad that it doesn't have to glow as the stove seems to be working well and, even without the glow and surface temp at 450, the exhaust smoke was minimal to none so I assumed it was working. He doesn't have a cat thermometer, it's a miracle that he has a temp gauge at all. Remember, he went from this stove with cracks as big as 1/16 " which burned up to 8 cords a season for 20 years. His method of running this stove was basically full bore.Notice no fire pad on the floor and a rickity front loading door.
Old Garrison Stove.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Funny tale. Many of us have experienced at least one puffback. Makes one glad that there are 3 screws at every pipe joint. He'll get the hang of it if he listens and learns.

As noted, what is not correct with the new install is the lack of a hearth pad extending at least 16" in front of the stove door. That really needs to be fixed before an accident happens.

Also does this install have a full liner run through the chimney?

Also does this install have a full liner run through the chimney?
No, his son, a high end chimney flashing contractor was visiting from Atlanta insisted that an insulated liner be installed. But, understand, this guy burned for 20 years with his Garrison without one. To even begin to convince him of ANY change is monumental, not to mention it would cost more money to install a liner. Now, that said, the son SHOULD have just bought the liner up in his pick up truck (as he gets contractor pricing) and he knew we would be changing out the wood stove after 20 years.
One argument to support him is: this is a massive internal brick and stone chimney. Oil flue basement, first floor chimney, second floor chimney (never used). In the winter, the whole mass is warm. If a liner was used it may not warm the mass as much.

Makes one glad that there are 3 screws at every pipe joint.
Yup, at one point the old timer said why do you need screws. After the explosion I reminded him of what you just pointed out.

Oh, here's a question. His son put the short piece of horizontal piece of pipe with the seam facing up. He said that's the way it is done. If so, why?

Oh, here's a question. His son put the short piece of horizontal piece of pipe with the seam facing up. He said that's the way it is done. If so, why?
So the seam doesnt leak creosote or water if you have condensation.