Wonder what it costs to get a cargo ship unstuck?

peakbagger

Minister of Fire
Jul 11, 2008
Northern NH
Looks like they pulled it off. I saw one estimate that it was at least $12,00,000 bucks a day for every day the canal was shut down. Time magazine had numbers that were much higher, 69 million on the high end. I wonder how much a salvage firm get paid for a salvage like this considering the other option of emptying it out and trying to refloat it would have taken weeks.? No doubt the lawsuits start piling up quick ;)

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
The cost of unblocking is trivial as compared to the cost of the blockage. There are hundreds of ships waiting to get through. I hope they allow the ships with live animals on them to go through first.

Upper Suez.png Lower canal.png

clancey

Minister of Fire
Feb 26, 2021
Colorado
I hope they at least gave them water and food...hope they carried some extra for them...so sad if not so...clancey

stoveliker

Minister of Fire
Nov 17, 2019
Eastern Long Island NY
Wonder if they had AAA :rolleyes: ;) :p ;lol
No need for a membership. Just have a big ship and call the Dutch for these kinds of problems and you'll get helped.

Unfortunately those companies do not get paid a fraction of the $$ value that is being delayed (by those suffering from the delay)...

ABMax24

Minister of Fire
The figure I seen was $400 million worth of goods per hour transits the Suez Canal, that's more money than I can count, but I'd sure love to try.

stoveliker

Minister of Fire
Nov 17, 2019
Eastern Long Island NY
Yes, about two ships per hour, and average about $200 000 000 per ship (like this one). Insane to think about...

MoDoug

Minister of Fire
Feb 3, 2018
NE Missouri
Talking about livestock on board the ships.. caution, this is a disturbing read, and obviously something that needs a lot more regulation.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: begreen

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA