Wondering about chimney screen

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scamp

Nov 11, 2008
Central California
Yesterday our stove started what must be back-puffing that I've read about here. Smoke was puffing out of the link between the flue and the stove when I opened the door to add wood.

Well, when my husband came home, he took a brush up and scrubbed the screen under the chimney cap. He said it is a very small grid and was covered with black stuff (creosote?) At his first swipe, I watched the fire flame up and start looking normal again. Seems the screen was keeping the smoke in!

So, my question is, what size screen grid should be on the chimney top? I realize that we have possibly created too much creosote as we are in the learning stage of using our stove. I've been reading a lot here and find we have a lot more to learn.

Thanks for any info.

You'd probably have to check your local codes as to what size is mandated if at all. The topic of screens and screen size came up recently.

1/2" to 3/8" grid size. Mine was removed the second time it plugged up with brown ash/creososte. I did put the cap back on but not the screen.

Thank you for the responses. Looks like I posted too soon -- just found the other thread about this same thing. It sounds like a common problem with a simple solution...

Status
Not open for further replies.