WONDERING WHY?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MICHAEL H

Hearth Supporter
Dec 24, 2009
se indiana
Last year I installed a new PE Pacific insert. Stainlss steel liner and all. Has been the best investment I can think of. One thing I have noticed. I very rarely ever see any smoke coming from the chimmney. Roaring fire, house is toasty, no smoke outside. I guess I never really thought of it until I passed my in-laws today and it looked like a fog zone from there chimmney. I do see smoke of course as I start a new fire. Then I see it and can smell the work burning. After awhile nothing. Just curious.

You have seasoned firewood.

Ackk, almost forgot....

Welcome to the forums !!!!

Maybe your stove went out? No I would bet that you are burning nice dry wood in a nice clean chimney at a nice temp for your stove. You have a happy little stove that could live in the happy little cabin next to the happy little stream. Good work, keep it up and be safe.
Ed

Many on here can give you a more detailed reason but the short and sweet of it is that your fire box is designed better then the old timers. The wood is burning just like it used to. It's just that now after the smoke has left the burning wood it is burned again in a secondary air sytem before going out the stack. This second burn in turn gives you more heat hence less wood neaded and the list of good stuff goes on :)

Well at least I am doing something right in my rookie fire burning years. I am sure the stove has more to do with it than me. Thanks for the welcome and thanks to this site for leading me to a Pacific Energy stove. I did not think cutting firewood would be my thing but I love it. Cut five full cords this year. Cut, hauled, split, and stacked and am ready to do more. Lucky to find two huge white oak trees down side by side. They have been down over two years so I got lucky with some nice clean wood. My wife and kids say I am obcessed. I could think of worse things to be obcessed with!

Sound to me like you have reached the Nirvana of wood burning. Seasoned wood burning in a properly installed EPA certified stove. Few things can compare when it all goes right.

Nirvana:
Nirvana is the supreme state free from suffering and individual existence. It is a state Buddhists refer to as "Enlightenment".
It is the ultimate goal of all Buddhists. The attainment of nirvana breaks the otherwise endless rebirth cycle of reincarnation.
Buddhists also consider nirvana as freedom from all worldly concerns such as greed, hate, and ignorance.
No one can describe in words what nirvana is. It can only be experienced directly.

MICHAEL H said:
Last year I installed a new PE Pacific insert. Stainlss steel liner and all. Has been the best investment I can think of. One thing I have noticed. I very rarely ever see any smoke coming from the chimmney. Roaring fire, house is toasty, no smoke outside. I guess I never really thought of it until I passed my in-laws today and it looked like a fog zone from there chimmney. I do see smoke of course as I start a new fire. Then I see it and can smell the work burning. After awhile nothing. Just curious.

Oh no, you are experiencing the dreaded Ghost Smoke -- smoke that is smelled, but not seen. Your best bet would be to rip out the new PE and shove any old stove you can find for sale in the newspaper (providing that it is less than $250) . . . and don't bother hooking up a liner or anything . . . and while you're at it make sure you only burn wood that was cut up this past Fall and split last week since we all know this is the best way to make the wood last longer in the stove. ;) Oh, one final note if you choose to do this to avoid the dreaded Ghost Smoke . . . please be sure to put the local Fire Department on speed dial and check with your insurance agent to make sure your insurance policy is up to date. ;)

All kidding aside . . . no smoke = good burning with proper temps and well seasoned wood (assuming of course that the fire is still roaring away and isn't dead). As Martha would say, "It's a good thing."

Its like the light in your refrigerator. When you go outside, the stove goes out. When you come back in, the stove lights up. I thought everybody knew this. :red:

Status
Not open for further replies.