Wood and Pellet Combe stove do they exist?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mpilihp

Feeling the Heat
Apr 22, 2008
Coastal ME
Hi so we have a camp with a wood stove only and we like to burn wood but doesn't run overnight well without sweating us out. I'd also like to have a backup option and would prob help with insurance. Really don't have space for a separate appliance.

I found this thread but it's old.

I can't find anything on web for in the US but do see a couple options in Europe.

Is there a US product??

Has anyone modified a wood stove to also burn pellets?

Thanks

Phil

You can buy a basket to burn pellets in a wood stove. There aren’t many good reviews on them. It’s probably an airflow issue. Burn pots have air pushed up through them.

Compressed sawdust logs look like a big pellet and burn well in a wood stove.

I’ve also seen rocket stoves that run on small pieces of wood and have pellet feed options. One of them was UL listed. It was discussed here, you can probably find it on a search. I believe it was US made too.

Prior to the EPA Phase 3, or whatever it's called, there was a company that made a wood/coal/corn outdoor boiler.

The problem is firewood and wood pellets are handled in very different ways in a stove.

There's a guy local to me that sells a corn/pellet boiler, but that doesn't really get you to where you want to be.

Hi thanks so I've watched videos on people burning pellets in their wood stove but it's a manual method. Ie if I'm around I can just put a stick of firewood in.

I'm interested in a setup that automatically starts burning pellets when the wood fire dies out.

They have it in Europe, we seam to always be behind the ball compared to them...

Phil

The only one I know about is this one
A friend in Scotland has one he seems to like it
Unfortunately, it is not available in North America

Reactions: mpilihp
I know of 2 in Europe, and I fail to see the attraction--
Expensive
Hold small amounts and small pieces of wood
Short burn times
Low output- looks like max 20-23 btu's
But they have models as furnaces, that might be something
Just don't see much of a market over here

The only one I know about is this one
A friend in Scotland has one he seems to like it
Unfortunately, it is not available in North America
Thanks that's one of the 2 I saw avail in Europe. Wish they would bring it here...

Phil

I know of 2 in Europe, and I fail to see the attraction--
Expensive
Hold small amounts and small pieces of wood
Short burn times
Low output- looks like max 20-23 btu's
But they have models as furnaces, that might be something
Just don't see much of a market over here
I see a market, I know a lot of people that heat with wood and have to have a gas or oil furnace for backup when away. I have an work boiler with an oil boiler as backup at home. At camp I refuse to put a oil or gas heater in and I'm sure there are othere like me that wod like another option for backup ie like pellets...

Phil

Well, I don't know what would justify a "market", 5k units per year? 10k? Or just modify and importa few, with very high prices, so a company profit is made? But I do see, in the UK internet, Aduro has greatly reduced their asking prices of new stoves, even in the crashing economy and high inflation over there.

It certainly not going to be a mainstream product like heat pump mini splits but I see it as an opportunity for a smaller cottage company, like the Wiseway non electric pellet stove.

There are alot of people still burning wood and need a backup solution, at home I still burn oil as a backup to my wood boiler, pellet options for backup I think is a great idea.

This question is exactly why I just joined the forum. I'm building a smallish new home (900 sq ft) and have been researching the most cost effective heating solutions. I've settled on using pellets for a number of reasons but I'd love the option burn wood if I don't have pellets or just for the ambiance. I too am dismayed that there are several (there's actually 5) different companies selling them in Europe. I'm sure that there must be some EPA reason for that otherwise someone would offer one.

I've settled on the fact that it's probably not going to happen so now I'm wondering what my and the OP's best option would be. Two stoves? Is that the only option?

Reactions: mpilihp
I have no idea why they are not in North America or why a north American manufacturer
has not picked up on them. Most likely the hoops they would have to jump to get Certification.
If you really want one suggest maybe seeing what it will take to import one. Just Remember
in Europe, they use 220v Could and likely cost an arm and leg to get one here

Well, "niche" things are usually the first to go, when an economy tanks. Wiseway, bought out by USSC, is now dumping them on the market for 1300. And when I looked up a few of the European combo units, they are also "dumping" the prices.

Well I'm glad to see I'm not the only person that thinks it's a good idea. I'm headed out next week to attempt to thru hike the AT so I won't be able to do much on this idea till after that.

But I have been thinking about it. I'm going to buy a beat up stove like the one I have at camp, searching on Craigslist list I see similar ones called Wonderwood. We like it as it accepta 2 ft sticks and has a metal shell around the firebox so it's a tad safer when little kids are around and we have 6 grandkids.

I'll also buy a cheap used pellet stove that has an external thermostat capability and work to add the pellet stove components to the Woodstove on the back side as I'd like the ability to have it auto start after the wood fire dies out.

The area I'm not sure how will woek is the blower. I've seen someone add a gravity feed pellet burner to a wood stove which worked great but no ability to auto start it or control trmp via a thermostat. The motor driven burners also have a blower so that is an unknown to me. Any thoughts?

Will play with it outside under my metal quanset hut where an out of control fire will be manageable, ie building metal and have water hose and a tractor and gravel!

Phil

I think that sounds horribly dangerous. Just the different drafting requirements of the two types of stoves are enough to cause issues.

There is more to these setups than a few pellets dropped into a fire.

I think that sounds horribly dangerous. Just the different drafting requirements of the two types of stoves are enough to cause issues.

There is more to these setups than a few pellets dropped into a fire.
It's been done with gravity feed pellet burner setups and honestly a gravity feed unit with an automatic igniter would be fine but I'd first like to try a auger feed setup. Like I said I'll experiment outside and not in my camp or house.