Wood - Boogerism

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hossthehermit

Minister of Fire
May 17, 2008
Maine, ayuh, by gorry
Tree crews have been doing a bunch of cutting along the power line rights - of - way all spring. They chip what they can and leave the rest, all limbed and cut up anywhere from 1' - 10' ft. long. Mostly bigger limbs, a lot of fir and spruce, but if you pay attention, and look around, there's a lot of good stuff. Birch (white & yellow), maple, oak (red & white), cherry......

Attachments

• DSCF4167.jpg
    DSCF4167.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 509
  • DSCF4169.jpg
    DSCF4169.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 498
Good haul. I'm glad the thread is about wood gathering. Amongst my kids, boogers have a different connotation.

Here in my neck of the woods, those of us that scrounge wood 'cuz we're too cheap to buy it are referred to as wood-boogers.

Just make sure the wood isn't on someone's private property Hoss or at least is not wanted by the landowner . . . from my work with the ATV Club we've found some powerline rights of way are owned by the utility company and others are leased from a private landowner.

Get it if you can Hoss.

firefighterjake said:
Just make sure the wood isn't on someone's private property Hoss or at least is not wanted by the landowner . . . from my work with the ATV Club we've found some powerline rights of way are owned by the utility company and others are leased from a private landowner.

It's that way in places, Jake, but actually this stuff in within the road limits, that's what makes it so great, I can drive right up to within 5 feet or so of it.

hossthehermit said:
firefighterjake said:

It's that way in places, Jake, but actually this stuff in within the road limits, that's what makes it so great, I can drive right up to within 5 feet or so of it.

Just make sure you're not grabbing wood in the road limits on my property. ;) . . . I suspect most folks will not mind you taking the wood . . . and you no doubt know the area and who will mind or not mind you grabbing the wood.

firefighterjake said:
hossthehermit said:
firefighterjake said:

Just make sure you're not grabbing wood in the road limits on my property. ;) . . . I suspect most folks will not mind you taking the wood . . . and you no doubt know the area and who will mind or not mind you grabbing the wood.

If it's been layin' there on the ground for 3 months, you better get at it, if you want it. Otherwise, come on out and have a chat.

hossthehermit said:
firefighterjake said:
hossthehermit said:
firefighterjake said:

If it's been layin' there on the ground for 3 months, you better get at it, if you want it. Otherwise, come on out and have a chat.

Hehheh . . . 3 months huh . . . guess if anyone wanted it they probably would have come for it by now.

Would not bother me if someone cleaned up along my road. However, it is private property.

I discovered the city does not own the street along my south property line. They built a street on private property. There is a sewer right of way which they must have kept cleared for maintenance. My guess is over the years they graded and graveled to make it easy to get along the creek. Then the town grew and someone said we should name that street. Couple of years ago they paved it. I am just keeping my mouth closed. If they do take the property by adverse possession, they will only get the paved surface. So everything off the asphalt will still be private property. Not that it matters. If they came asked for it we would deed it over.

Every now and then I stack brush on the pavement. To everyone's credit, the neighbors, police, etc just wait for me to get around to move it. Dropped a few trees on it this spring. I have this fantasy of getting a ticket and going to court where I would dramatically reveal the street was my private property therefore the ticket was illegal. Unfortunately, the judge who is also a neighbor would just say, "Dang it, why are you wasting my time. You are sentenced to buy me a beer at the VFW." They only have court once a month for about an hour. He doesn't like to do even that much. Never files for office. Just is written in by the voters. Small towns.

Status
Not open for further replies.