Wood burning boilers illegal in Washington State?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sparke

Minister of Fire
Jul 6, 2006
Maine
I was at the expo today in Bangor Maine. Incredible expo , no idea that event is so big. Out of all the boilers I saw I was most impressed with Econoburn - rugged boiler. Atmos - sweet rig for the money. (I wonder how long their life cycle is), and Garn - gotta love a efficient boiler with built in storage. Tarms and Woodguns look like very solid machines. Did not see the Eko.

Anyway, someone at the show told me wood boilers are illegal in Washington State. Can this be true? It is so hard to believe. Anyone ever heard of this?

Maybe they were thinking in reference to OWB's?

No , I specifically asked that question. I guess I will find out soon enough when I move there...

When I was researching boilers I read that also. They banded all wood burning boilers. I think there was some other places out west that did also. Uninformed people make some very bad moves. The problem is it is hard to undo once they make stupid moves as they don't want to admit their stupidity.
leaddog

Fact is there are very few wood gasification units out west and even less knowledge about them. Unfortunately they'll just be lumped in with everything else burning wood. The only way around it is for some company to spend the money to prove their units are exempt from such laws. Not a profitable enough market to see that happen I'm afraid.

That seems so incredibly wrong. I feel like my rights are being infringed upon. What next, you cant plant your own garden? Damn politicians. Guess my plan to be totally grid /fossil fuel independent will have to take a different route.

A company that builds a gassification "syn gas" unit which is sold commercially is from Washington State. That unit can be used to run engines and other various uses. There must be a way around this stupid law...

there is a city in Alaska that has bans on wood burning based on air quality days.

Washington state has its own stricter particulates standards. The state's wood burning regs are here http://www.ecy.wa.gov/programs/air/indoor_woodsmoke/wood_smoke_page.htm OWBs are banned specifically. Indoor boilers presumably would be allowed, but the manufacturers would have to get them certified, and I didn't see any in the state's list of approved stoves --not even Greenwood, which hails from Bellevue WA. Could be a CH thing.

I have sort of come across the same thing, just a question of terminology - Biomass Gassifiers. I had a quick look, they do not seem to address these.

As the Governors Energy Office include these as 'a good idea' and actively promote their use, I doubt there will be many isues in CO.

the ban in alaska allows pellet stoves to burn, just no wood stoves. The ban in WA is the ultimate state take over of rights/lack of common sense, hopefuly the people straighten out the mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.