Wood burning fireplace baffle info

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Gordon1969

May 21, 2023
Queensland, Australia
Hi I have an Ultimate supreme wood burner (their biggest size) and it has a baffle plate with a baffle on top that sits right under the pipe that goes outside. I’m assuming it’s purpose is to reduce fire risk entering chimney pipe.
The baffle is only around 10” x 8” and is white. It’s crumby when pinched and has broken into three parts. The manufacturer wants far too much to replace it and I’m wondering if I can use a vermiculite baffle which comes in a board I can cut to fit, instead?
Any idea what the original baffle is made of? This may seem dumb but it looks like compressed asbestos. The fire is at least 15 years old maybe 20. TIA

E782D35C-0107-49C6-BDDF-3B2681DABE79.jpeg A9433FCA-3EBA-4345-80A8-B46E05738803.jpeg CB5E4E33-51AF-4F23-93F3-D4B8094E48A1.jpeg 7AC8ED0C-A0A1-4DFB-9DB9-4C4F9F7273B2.jpeg 123B5185-FC5E-485E-8BA1-694C2ED85B39.jpeg

It's likely made of ceramic fiber and hopefully not asbestos. Yes, a vermiculite baffle could be cut to size. Or it could be cut from ceramic fiberboard of the same thickness.

Reactions: Gordon1969
I'm curious to know where you're able to buy vermiculite sheets from if you don't mind. Thanks.

Is there an Amazon and/or eBay down under? That is where I would start looking.

Probably easier (cheaper?) to just buy replacement ceramic fiber insulation board to custom cut to replace that...usually a person can buy a piece big enough to make 2 cheaper than 1 from the factory.
I would think vermiculite board would be crumbly?

Probably easier (cheaper?) to just buy replacement ceramic fiber insulation board to custom cut to replace that...usually a person can buy a piece big enough to make 2 cheaper than 1 from the factory.
I would think vermiculite board would be crumbly?
There is a high-density variety used in stoves. Some claim this is tougher than ceramic fiberboard.