Wood burning Fireplace is missing parts but what parts?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

SassyinFlorida

Mar 22, 2019
Florida, United States
I just purchased a new property and the wood burning fireplace is obviously missing some parts. For one the mesh screen isn't there but I am not sure what else it needs. I did test it to insure it did work, but only for a second, since there wasn't any protection. The previous owner, apparently, did use it regularly during the short winters we have.

By looking at the photos can you tell me what I need to purchase? Pardon the mess, it hasn't been cleaned up yet.
Thank you!!

Fireplace1.jpg Fireplace2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I just purchased a new property and the wood burning fireplace is obviously missing some parts. For one the mesh screen isn't there but I am not sure what else it needs. I did test it to insure it did work, but only for a second, since there wasn't any protection. The previous owner, apparently, did use it regularly during the short winters we have.

By looking at the photos can you tell me what I need to purchase? Pardon the mess, it hasn't been cleaned up yet.
Thank you!!

View attachment 242605 View attachment 242606
I am sorry to have to tell you this but from what i can see that fireplace is beyond repair. There are many missing and damaged parts and where the box meets the chimney is corroded. It looks to be unsafe to use.

Reactions: Riddlefiddle
I am sorry to have to tell you this but from what i can see that fireplace is beyond repair. There are many missing and damaged parts and where the box meets the chimney is corroded. It looks to be unsafe to use.

I didn't even notice the corroded part! I went and got a closer look and it definitely is rusty. What would you say needs to be done? A new insert?

I didn't even notice the corroded part! I went and got a closer look and it definitely is rusty. What would you say needs to be done? A new insert?
What you have is a prefab or zero clearance fireplace not an insert. And yes from what I can see the only option is full replacement.

Not worth spending a penny on. Tear it out and replace.

Not worth spending a penny on. Tear it out and replace.

Thank you all. I am now researching fireplaces. Considering doing one like this http://www.wilkeningfireplace.com/granview
Although, that one is probably WAY out of my price range.
I am not sure exactly what type that is. I want wood burning with the double glass doors to get better efficiency but not spend a fortune, since it wouldn't be used a lot in Florida. Any suggestions?

Heatilator Constitution, Osburn Stratford, Pacific Energy FP30?

Thank you. I love the pacific energy fireplace but it is quite large. We only have 1300 sq ft of space to heat.
30% smaller than the Granview that you linked to. There is also a PC FP16 and FP25. Also take a look at the Astria Montecito and RSF Pearl