Wood burning fireplace surround

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

TinaB

Aug 5, 2019
Westchester County, NY
we just moved and would like to redo our wood burning fireplace. Neither of us has ever had one so we are beginners to say the least. I like the granite slab look but I've seen conflicting info online as to whether or not it could be used as a surround and hearth for a wood burning fireplace. Can someone please help?

we just moved and would like to redo our wood burning fireplace. Neither of us has ever had one so we are beginners to say the least. I like the granite slab look but I've seen conflicting info online as to whether or not it could be used as a surround and hearth for a wood burning fireplace. Can someone please help?
Yes granite is fine. What type of fireplace is it? If it is a masonry fireplace you need to follow codes applicable to them as far as clearances. If it is a prefabricated one you need to follow the manual for that unit

image.jpg
Yes granite is fine. What type of fireplace is it? If it is a masonry fireplace you need to follow codes applicable to them as far as clearances. If it is a prefabricated one you need to follow the manual for that unit

I have no idea what kind it is and I have no manual. Where would I get codes?
It is a prefab fireplace. There should be a label on the inner edge of the door frame once you have the make and model you can look up a manual. Also have the whole system inspected completely by a chimney pro before putting any money into it.

it was inspected and cleaned when we moved in so it works. its a superior HC-42 but i can't seem to find a manual online yet. will the manual tell me if i can use granite?

it was inspected and cleaned when we moved in so it works. its a superior HC-42 but i can't seem to find a manual online yet. will the manual tell me if i can use granite?
No. You can use granite. It will tell you how wide it needs to be around the opening and infront of it.