Wood burning Furnace Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hiram Maxim

Minister of Fire
Nov 25, 2007
SE Michigan
Anybody ever considered installing a wood furnace in their insulated attached garage to heat the garage and home?

My garage is my machine shop and is heated with electric heat right now. I'm also considering a vent-less natural gas heater for the garage.

I'm so tired of lugging wood into the house, getting ash all over the place, and the actual debris from the wood. It would be a lot easier to store the wood in the garage as well.

I spend a 1/4 of my free time cleaning........or so it seems.

Just a thought! :red:

Thank you, Hiram

This does not sound like a bad idea. I would check local codes. I know in my area that for any type of burner (gas heater, water heater ect...) neeeds to be installed at least 18 ' off of the floor.

If the woodstove didn't do such a darn good job at heating the whole house then I would consider it. Also, the wood furnace isn't nearly as nice to look at, won't work in a power outage, makes noise, etc.

I have thought about this same thing. My Idea was to cut the back out of an old Country Comfort ~4 cf fire box. Install good air tight glass doors and surround the firebox with several feet of river rock (many tons for mass ak masonery heater.) Have it bumped into the living room with the glass doors, nice mantle and stone surrond narrowing to the peak of the cathedral ceilings. Then my existing cast iron doors are on the hearth in the garage. Perfect all the mess stays out in the garage, the ash pan, loading is all out on the concrete floor. I could build the masonry mass with tiles and hollow block for ducting with gravity and or fans. Some large (18x18) ornate cast grills, you see the picture?

Highbeam said:
If the woodstove didn't do such a darn good job at heating the whole house then I would consider it. Also, the wood furnace isn't nearly as nice to look at, won't work in a power outage, makes noise, etc.

The Englander 30 heats the house just fine and is what I would use in case of power failure. (don't jinx me, there's ice storm headed this way)LOL

However it would save me $50 to $60 per month in heating my garage and would be less messy to the inside of the house.

i considered putting one in our garage when we built our new home. But the insurance co. was not too keen of the ideal.You can put it 18 inches off the floor but if one of you vehicles defelope a gas leak the fumes would surely be all over the garage, not in just the lower 18 inches of air space.

My wood furnace is in my basement and besides getting even heat to the whole house, my next favorite thing is clean up with a broom and a dustpan. My electric splitter is next to the furnace so even with the splitting the clean up takes 2 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.