Wood burning insert advice please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rfitz69

Nov 20, 2021
Peterborough, Ontario
I have a brick fireplace at a cottage that I would like to add a wood burning insert to. Its a weird half circle opening (3ft wide by 2.1ft high) and the cottage insulation is average to poor. Main room and kitchen are open concept with 20ft ceilings, this room is about 600sqft. There are also 3 bedrooms that have regular height ceiling. The whole place is about 1100 sqft. Currently using electric baseboard heaters and the current fireplace to heat it. I have been researching inserts and really like the Pacific Energy Alderly T5 and hope it would be enough for my place. I will need to shave off a few bricks at the top of the opening slightly to make it fit. I like the larger viewing window and that it is non cat. I am just looking for advice or anything to think about before having it installed and if you think it would be a good choice.

Thanks

6B195729-0124-49B2-871A-0AFE6F74C49A.jpeg BD8CA12F-E218-4A42-AA2F-411E0A96939F.jpeg

Last edited:
Have a friend with a cottage in Ontario.electric heat=$$$$.lol.hope that stove works out for you.

I like the looks of the T5. Seems appropriately sized. How tall is the chimney (will you need to think about a damper)? Will you need floor ember protection? Do you like the look of the arch? Is it ok to cover it up? It’s time get wood for next year if it dries FAST. Or the year after next if is normal drying wood. Where will you run the power cord?

Just a few things to think about.