Wood Burning Insert for Small Trapezoid Shaped Fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Wiredllama

Oct 24, 2022
Southwestern PA
I currently have an open air fireplace with the dimensions as shown in the photo. I am trying to find a suitable wood burning insert with a blower that will fit my space. I realize I will probably have to increase my hearth protection on the floor but that is not a problem. Can anyone make any manufacturer/model suggestions for me to look into?

I have considered the Lopi Answer but I am not sure if that comes with a blower or not.

Thank you for any thoughts or ideas!
-Jason
fireplace1.jpg

The Lopi Answer has a blower option. The fireplace will need 24" width at 14" depth for it to fit easily. If it is close, then some bricks could be carved out with a grinder. The Buck 21 might also fit, but their manuals and website lack fireplace installation dimensions. Their 21NC has a narrower backend for a better fit for this shaped fireplace but I can't be sure. I have requested dimensions from Buck.

How large of a room is being heated? Another option might be to put a freestanding stove in this location. A Jotul F45 would look good there and would provide more heat.

Is there a combustible mantel on this fireplace?

The Lopi Answer has a blower option. The fireplace will need 24" width at 14" depth for it to fit easily. If it is close, then some bricks could be carved out with a grinder. The Buck 21 might also fit, but their manuals and website lack fireplace installation dimensions. Their 21NC has a narrower backend for a better fit for this shaped fireplace but I can't be sure. I have requested dimensions from Buck.

How large of a room is being heated? Another option might be to put a freestanding stove in this location. A Jotul F45 would look good there and would provide more heat.

Is there a combustible mantel on this fireplace?
Thank you for the information as well as proactively requesting dimensions for the Buck 21.

The room is between 900-1,000 sf. I suppose I should have taken a more contextual photo, but yes, there is a wooden mantel. Although I'm trying my hardest to get an insert I will look at the Jotul F45 as suggested.

Thank you!

It's a tall and somewhat narrow fireplace. The Jotul would grace the hearth nicely. Can you provide a full view of the fireplace along with the distance from the hearth to the bottom of the mantel?

It's a tall and somewhat narrow fireplace. The Jotul would grace the hearth nicely. Can you provide a full view of the fireplace along with the distance from the hearth to the bottom of the mantel?
There is roughly 44" between the hearth and the mantel. I can always raise the mantel a bit if code requires depending on where the top of the insert or stove ends up being.
thumbnail_IMG_4450.jpg

There is roughly 44" between the hearth and the mantel. I can always raise the mantel a bit if code requires depending on where the top of the insert or stove ends up being.
View attachment 301292
That's a beautiful fireplace. You may also have the option of using a mantel shield to address a clearance that is close.

How about a Blaze king princess. I would focus on finding a shallow in stall depth not just a narrow firebox. You have lots of height to make the connection to the liner. Other option is installing an insert further out/forward and not using the surround (I did the opposite and picked it all the way back not surround) some look better than others this way.

If your goal is serious heating don’t go smaller than 2.0 cu ft.

2BCDA474-254D-40C8-83C8-491A443CBD23.jpeg

How about a Blaze king princess. I would focus on finding a shallow in stall depth not just a narrow firebox. You have lots of height to make the connection to the liner. Other option is installing an insert further out/forward and not using the surround (I did the opposite and picked it all the way back not surround) some look better than others this way.

If your goal is serious heating don’t go smaller than 2.0 cu ft.

View attachment 301306
I was wondering how that would look without the surround. Even with the smallest depth installation I could find so far I am still about 2" away from the face of the fireplace. I was considering fabricating an additional trim piece to make up the difference or considering leaving it open. Thanks for the suggestion.

That's a beautiful fireplace. You may also have the option of using a mantel shield to address a clearance that is close.
Thanks! We love the way it looks too. I still need to finish the floor at the front but after gutting pretty much the whole house, that was one of the details that was left to be completed. Decorations are courtesy of my wife, of course.

I'm trying to get a quote on the Lopi Answer as that has the smallest footprint I've found thus far. There is only one local fireplace dealer around me and he only carries gas inserts from Napoleon. The next closest places are an hours drive away.