Wood burning stove installation 6 inch pipe to 8in flue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Nytek

Nov 14, 2017
Rhode Island
Hello, I’m trying to connect a new wood burning stove to an existing chimney. The chimney is already existing and is a 8 inch pipe (see attached photos). I have some questions about the connection to the existing 8 inch chimney. After remove the existing fireplace what was left was the 8in chimney pipe with a copper crimped piece that the old pipe connected to (see attached photos). My question is:

How would i connect to new 6in pipe to the existing 8inch chimney? I’ve bought a 6 inch to 8 inch adapter but I’m unsure how it will fit with the existing copper piece on the end of the existing pipe. Do i remove the copper piece and existing 8 in pipe and replace it or can i just remove go directly into the 8in pipe?

Thanks and any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• 81247021-9CF2-4F71-B798-A597483AC7A5.jpeg
    81247021-9CF2-4F71-B798-A597483AC7A5.jpeg
    94 KB · Views: 792
  • 0DEACCA9-4876-4CD5-A7FB-0787D60232F1.jpeg
    0DEACCA9-4876-4CD5-A7FB-0787D60232F1.jpeg
    97.3 KB · Views: 644
  • 5E6429D2-B900-462D-BCE8-2E0C44963B36.jpeg
    5E6429D2-B900-462D-BCE8-2E0C44963B36.jpeg
    94.6 KB · Views: 522
Well for starters that stud wall is to close even with double wall pipe you will need 6" that you dont have. Next a 6" stove should really have a 6" chimney it may work ok on 8 but may be dissapointing. Have you had the chimney inspected?

Well for starters that stud wall is to close even with double wall pipe you will need 6" that you dont have. Next a 6" stove should really have a 6" chimney it may work ok on 8 but may be dissapointing. Have you had the chimney inspected?
I have not but the wall is actually coming down. It will have 12+ inches all the way around the pipe. I have not had it inspected, but we have used it last year with the old fireplace and it was fine.

I have not but the wall is actually coming down. It will have 12+ inches all the way around the pipe. I have not had it inspected, but we have used it last year with the old fireplace and it was fine.
At 12" you will need double wall pipe. And just because it worked doesnt mean it is safe. It really should be inspected. How old is it?

At 12" you will need double wall pipe. And just because it worked doesnt mean it is safe. It really should be inspected. How old is it?
I’m sorry, it’ll be at least 18 inches from the pipe. It’s very old, at least 20 years. We bought the house about 2 years ago and had an inspection but I doubt the chimney was included. What would the inspection tell me?

I’m sorry, it’ll be at least 18 inches from the pipe. It’s very old, at least 20 years. We bought the house about 2 years ago and had an inspection but I doubt the chimney was included. What would the inspection tell me?
The inspection would tell you if the chimney is rated to the temperatures rewuired for a wood stove. If it is installed with proper clearances. And if it is still in useable condition. At 20 plus years old it may be worn out

You also mentioned fireplace, if this was originally for a fireplace it may not be rated to the same temps required for wood stoves. The easiest option may be to put a 6” insulated liner inside if it will fit