Wood burning too fast

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

yoteantidote

Feb 17, 2018
Argentine, MI
i have two Quadrafire 2700i inserts at two different locations, both burning the same wood (oak that has been cut split and stacked for four years ).

At one location I get very long burns and dancing flames, at the other I get burn times of about half of the other and the flames are flickering indicating there is air getting in. This happens when both my primary and secondary air intake are pulled out or dampered as low as possible.

On the one that is burning too fast I have replaced the door gasket with no noticeable change. I have had both inserts for about 10 years and this problem just started this year, prior it use to burn the same. I’m not aware of any adjustments on the primary or secondary intakes, any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you likely had the right idea with the door gasket, it sounds like a leak. If you think you did a good job on the door gasket, then it’s time to consider other possible sources, like maybe the window gasket. Checking how the load has burned at various points during the burn cycle might give an indication of where the leak is coming from, if it has a direct path to the firebox.

i have two Quadrafire 2700i inserts at two different locations, both burning the same wood (oak that has been cut split and stacked for four years ).

At one location I get very long burns and dancing flames, at the other I get burn times of about half of the other and the flames are flickering indicating there is air getting in. This happens when both my primary and secondary air intake are pulled out or dampered as low as possible.

On the one that is burning to fast I have replaced the door gasket with no noticeable change. I have had both inserts for about 10 years and this problem just started this year, prior it use to burn the same. I’m not aware of any adjustments on the primary or secondary intakes, any ideas?

FWIW: We had a 3100i and at one time the lower rod must have been struck or kicked and the rod would not fully stroke closed.

Is the stack taller on the faster burner?

If the problem just started then look for air leakage somewhere. Door and glass gaskets are prime suspect, but also investigate the ACT to make sure it is working properly and not leaking in startup air throughout the burn. Also look for any cracks at or around the secondary manifold. Watch the fire for any unusually vigorous activity in any location.

If the door and glass gaskets are new, as a test I'm wondering if you Plug up the ACT hole in the center rear with a wad and cap of aluminum foil for a single fire?

Yes the stack is taller where the wood is burning quicker, however something changed from last season, because I’m definitely getting more air in now.

I did not replace my glass gasket, it appears fine but I’m going to just to rule that out. I like the idea of plugging the secondary intake in the back, this is where I believe the problem is but this will prove it.

If that is it I don’t know if there is a remedy because I don’t see any adjustments or access to it.

Thanks for the ideas and keep them coming, I will strip it down and check everything in a day or so.

I believe the ACT is a startup air valve on a spring loaded timer. It's not secondary air, more like startup boost air.

I believe the ACT is a startup air valve on a spring loaded timer. It's not secondary air, more like startup boost air.

Sounds like the OP has the model before the ACT was available ? He mentioned both are pulled out. That would not be ACT. It’s just a manual rod. Out is closed. Fully in is open. No timer. The new ones have a timer. Sounds like one more thing to go wrong. I wouldn’t trust a spring timer to turn air down for me.

I have a 3100 quad non ACT. The start up air rod goes so hard I stopped using it. Afraid I was going to damage something forcing it to move. I just leave it closed ( pulled all the way out )

OP if you determine it was start up air stuck open I would just close it and stop using the start up air. Just keep it shut closed. Just leave your door open for a few minutes on cold starts. It will do the same thing to help get your fire going

That’s one thing I never liked about the Quad having 2 controls on it

Yes the ACT system preceded the ACC system. If the insert is a 2008 model it would be manual ACT and not the timer ACC. Thanks for the clarification.
That’s one thing I never liked about the Quad having 2 controls on it
I'm a big fan of KISS design. Overtime there is less to fail due to maintenance or wear and tear.

Last edited: