Wood delivery

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Bucher86

Oct 1, 2020
PA
Ended up at a friends house one night and ended up being introduced to a guy who owns his own tree company. We got to talking and he said he pays someone to get rid of the trees he cuts down. Long story short. We exchanged info and now he is dumping off loads of trees free of charge at my house. I may end up telling him next time to drop off some smaller stuff. But I can’t complain for free wood.

5A8302AF-18B4-499B-B612-B636712EC9B1.jpeg 6ACEA3DC-1BC8-407A-9A57-848AC9AA0918.jpeg

Yeah, baby! Tree man's trash is log stove guy's treasure. Some big sticks of oak there.

Reactions: D8Chumley
Big sticks= lotsa splits ;) And just look at that handsome 590!

It’s good to have youth on your side also

I would take whatever size he brings me. I wouldn't be picky. The only thing I would ask of him is to drop oak, cherry, hickory, species like that. Free is free.. get ahead while you can and take whatever he drops..
My friend owns a tree service and one day I came home to a load of oak and hickory sitting in the driveway... some of it was 34 inches in diameter.. its better than buying it.. its better then scrounging it..

I would take whatever size he brings me. I wouldn't be picky. The only thing I would ask of him is to drop oak, cherry, hickory, species like that. Free is free.. get ahead while you can and take whatever he drops..
My friend owns a tree service and one day I came home to a load of oak and hickory sitting in the driveway... some of it was 34 inches in diameter.. its better than buying it.. its better then scrounging it..
Yea. I told him I only wanted oak,ash,hickory or locust. I did however ask him to drop off some smaller trees lol

This is how I’ve been getting my wood the last two years along with craigslist free listings. I’m picky/ getting old/ weak, When they call me I specify that I need to be able to move the logs by myself, no machines. They have to pay to get rid of it, last few times they loaded up trailers. Occasionally I’ll get a massive round, but it’s all free.

For me the big rounds are well worth the hassle and extra work.

A 20” round has double the firewood of a 14” of the same length and a 24” round has roughly three times the volume of a 14” round.

Reactions: NickW
Thats the trade off when working with tree companies, usually its big tree's they remove because of a danger or issue with to much shade for a homeowner.
I made a rig for 30"+ wood that helps, I put the splitter in vertical position, and have 4x6's on each side of the splitters L, then roll the huge round up so its sitting flat, I split then turn the log 180 deg and split the other side, I use my breaking bar to assist with moving the wood which saves my back. Sometimes if its straight grain wood I'll make a purchase point on top of the round with my chainsaw, about 4" deep then stick 2 wedges on each end and split the round in half that way, when dealing with large rounds, always think of your back first, once it goes bad, its hard to heal correctly and really sucks.