Wood Door

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

certified106

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Oct 22, 2010
Athens, Ohio
So I have gotten tired of carrying wood through my house all winter long and decided to finally put in the wood door I have been talking about forever. I almost got it complete yesterday and still have to paint everything install handles and put the J channel around the opening outside. My wife is thrilled that we wont be tracking a mess through the middle of the house now. Our setup before was less than ideal as we have to walk from one end of the house to the other inside to get to the hearth.

Attachments

• Wood Door
    IMG_0568.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 555
  • Wood Door
    IMG_0574.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 533
  • Wood Door
    IMG_0576.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 548
Cool, good idea and less mess and hassle, how ever don't you think you are taking this wood burning thing a little too far, I mean you are cutting holes in the side of your house. LOL :lol:

oldspark said:
Cool, good idea and less mess and hassle, how ever don't you think you are taking this wood burning thing a little too far, I mean you are cutting holes in the side of your house. LOL :lol:
Ya know what, I guess I never even thought about it that way when I grabbed the sawzall and start cutting through the side of the house....I guess I am insane lol.
At the end of last season I was gone on a business trip for over a week and my wife slipped and fell coming up the iced over deck stairs with a load of wood and at that point I swore we wouldn't be walking across iced over decks with armloads of wood anymore. Now we can just wheel over a load and set er through the side of the house so I hope it works out.

cmonSTART said:
I really need one of those.

I looked for a while for a premade, prehung, small door that I could just set in an opening but I couldn't find anything available to fit the bill so I just made one myself. I was trying to make it quick and easy but I'm sure someone could come up with a better design than mine.

Sorry to hear about the wife falling on the ice, in my old house we loaded wood in the basement through a window and it was very handy so your door will be perfect, we are in this wood burning thing for the long haul.

I wish I could do one of these. I suppose I could but with my lower wall being cinder block, it would be quite an undertaking. Ah well....

Love it. Seal 'er up tight. Introducing the new "Wood Port"!

shawneyboy said:
I wish I could do one of these. I suppose I could but with my lower wall being cinder block, it would be quite an undertaking. Ah well....

Saw out the cinder block, frame in a doorway. A bit more time and effort than a stud wall, but not too bad unless the cinder block was filled with mortar or concrete, in which case forget it. But cutting through plain old cinder block isn't bad at all.

SteveKG said:
Saw out the cinder block, frame in a doorway. A bit more time and effort than a stud wall, but not too bad unless the cinder block was filled with mortar or concrete, in which case forget it. But cutting through plain old cinder block isn't bad at all.

This I do believe is the case....

Good for you certified. That will help both you and the wife. Maybe you should also consider a wood box with a lid on it. Fill the woodbox and then you only have to open that new door perhaps every 3rd day or so.

Boy that certainly looks convenient! Hell why stop there let's add a conveyor and bring it right into the stove.. :p

Ray

Backwoods Savage said:
Good for you certified. That will help both you and the wife. Maybe you should also consider a wood box with a lid on it. Fill the woodbox and then you only have to open that new door perhaps every 3rd day or so.

Backwoods thanks for the suggestion, I have thought about adding a wood box and I am still kicking the idea around I just don't think I have time to get to it this year. Heck it took me 6 years of thinking about the wood door to get to it :smirk:. It finally seems like I am just about getting my wood setup tweaked to to minimize the hassle and multiple handlings of the wood so maybe that will free up some more time to get a few other things done.

raybonz said:
Boy that certainly looks convenient! Hell why stop there let's add a conveyor and bring it right into the stove.. :p

Ray

That's a darn good idea I might just have to work on that as I like the idea of a coneyor from the wood shed to the wood door lol... :lol:

Nice wood door. I always wished I could do that, but both stoves meet interior walls, so that won't work. Oh, love the Jack Russell lounging in the warmth. They do love the heat. Here is mine.

Attachments

• Wood Door
    Stove and Oggie 2.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 274
certified106 said:
Backwoods Savage said:

Backwoods thanks for the suggestion, I have thought about adding a wood box and I am still kicking the idea around I just don't think I have time to get to it this year. Heck it took me 6 years of thinking about the wood door to get to it :smirk:. It finally seems like I am just about getting my wood setup tweaked to to minimize the hassle and multiple handlings of the wood so maybe that will free up some more time to get a few other things done.

Well, one should not rush things too much. 6 years of thinking about the door seems about right but the wood box should not require so long. Maybe 3 years would be sufficient?

Great idea Certified...when you build your wood box consider placing it against the new door without a back or side in the box...open the outside door and fill your box in one simple motion...that would keep the cold wind from blowing in the house when you open the door...just an idea

Capt Ron

Jaugust124 said:
I like the dog. Looks happy.

. . . or dead. I haven't quite figured out which state of being he is in. ;)

I assume the door is insulated in some way as well?

tfdchief said:
Nice wood door. I always wished I could do that, but both stoves meet interior walls, so that won't work. Oh, love the Jack Russell lounging in the warmth. They do love the heat. Here is mine.

Yeah they definitely love the fire! Our Jack will lay there until she actually gets hot to the touch and is panting then she gets up, gets a drink and, lays right back down again lol.

firefighterjake said:
I assume the door is insulated in some way as well?

Yup it's insulated well. My walls are 2x6 construction and I custom built the door, frame, and brick molding to fit in the corner where I wanted it. Since I took that photo I have spray foamed around the frame, primed everything, and then caulked all the openings. The actual door is 3 1/2" thick and insulated inside of it and all the way around the door I have weather stripping with the face of the door sealing against 1/2 rubber gasket. I also have 2 large tooling clamps that will be installed outside to keep a tight seal between the face of the door and the rubber gasket.

Status
Not open for further replies.