Wood fairy stopped by

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Smokyjeff1

May 7, 2017
Central New Jersey
IMG_6076.JPG
I have a buddy in the tree business that I barter with.He dropped off a nice load of what appears to be white oak.This will be cut up and split once the weather cools a little.It was dropped about 30' from my wood pile.Good to have friends in the business!

Leaves look to have typical oak shape with rounded (not pointed) lobes and shaggy bark. Definitely a white oak.

Very cool. I never get oak so I'm a total noob in identifying it, in fact I overlooked the most obvious part of that picture, which is the leaves. I didn't know it had bark that shaggy, I would've assumed a more rigid pattern.

Reactions: SeanBB
Another one I saw that can be tricky with no leaves is aspen and young red oak. Both have rough bark that transitions smooth up the trunk. Kind of interesting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Around here, most oaks are red oaks. This is especially true in urban/suburban areas that have many pin oaks (a particular type of red oak) and some northern red oaks. None of these red oaks have shaggy bark, so when white oak is encountered, I'm not surprised when people question it. I've taken more than one student on a nature hike who saw white oak bark and claimed it was a shagbark hickory.