Wood for Next Years Shoulder Season

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
This will be some of our wood for the shoulder season, basswood.

Zap

Attachments

• 100_0243-1.jpg
    100_0243-1.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 433
Dang Zap, I do like all your pics. Keep em' coming!

Last couple of years I've been slaying basswood saplings as an invasive species. We got plenty of poplar for shoulder season ...Zap I was told to get rid of them while I could cause even fully grown there was no btw's to them. So what's your take?

Got to admit I'm quick to burn any dead tree that's down on it's own...there easy takes and part of our general wood lot housekeeping plan.

savageactor7 said:
Zap I was told to get rid of them while I could cause even fully grown there was no btw's to them. So what's your take?

They end up taking a huge amount of canopy like the beech that get the rot and are never worth anything more than pulp. Cut em all.

savageactor7 said:
Last couple of years I've been slaying basswood saplings as an invasive species. We got plenty of poplar for shoulder season ...Zap I was told to get rid of them while I could cause even fully grown there was no btw's to them. So what's your take?

Got to admit I'm quick to burn any dead tree that's down on it's own...there easy takes and part of our general wood lot housekeeping plan.

The bees love basswood and bees are good to have around and also deer love basswood so I'll take what comes down and do some thinning of some young basswood. I will not get rid of all the basswood.

zap

zapny said:
savageactor7 said:

While their wood BTU value is low (13.8 MBTU/cord - about half of oak) and it may not be a great burning wood, I would not consider American Basswood/Linden (Tilia cordata) an invasive species. It is in fact native to our country. Generally the term invasive kicks in for non-native species which tend to spread into the wild and outcompete natives -- usually they don't have natural predators in their new home to keep their populations in check -- so they can outcompete natives and take over. Like the grey squirrel in Europe, which is taking over and driving the native European Red Squirrel toward extinction.

Anyway, if you are culling out all Basswood due to it's low BTUs for firewood, and because they are taking up space where better burning woods could live (Hickory, Locust, etc.), I completely understand that. That becomes "Invasive" in another sense.

I actually never burned Basswood, but with BTU's that low, it cant be a great wood to burn. I know that it isn't the easiest tree to grow from seed (we grow it on our nursery), which further makes me feel that it can't be invasive. Generally the invasive stuff takes off like a weed from seed.

savageactor7 said:

Hack'em and stack'em! Worthless unless you are a wood carver.

Cedrusdeodara said:
I actually never burned Basswood, but with BTU's that low, it cant be a great wood to burn. I know that it isn't the easiest tree to grow from seed (we grow it on our nursery), which further makes me feel that it can't be invasive. Generally the invasive stuff takes off like a weed from seed.
It suckers about as much as Schubert Cherry so I'd call that invasive.

OK thanks for all the advice brothers...I'll continue hacking them out of existence.

Status
Not open for further replies.