Wood from a nursery?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kobudo

Sep 10, 2008
MN
I am going through more wood than I planned for this winter. There is a nursery that sells firewood by the pound (oak) 17 cents/lb. The lady I spoke with said it is seasoned. Anyone have experience with this? I don't want to buy green wood.....

thats going to put a cord at 425.00 or more depending on how season it is!(guessing about 2500 lbs for a cord season)Thats HIGH! very High

Yea, I'm not too worried about the cost since I will probably only end up purchasing 1/4 or 1/5 of a cord. We are only burning 5 days a month when we are at the lake. I'm more concerned with making sure the wood is seasoned.

kobudo said:
Yea, I'm not too worried about the cost since I will probably only end up purchasing 1/4 or 1/5 of a cord. We are only burning 5 days a month when we are at the lake. I'm more concerned with making sure the wood is seasoned.
just look at the ends of the wood should have some cracks in it if its seasoned

In Europe I think they sell by weight, but unless you know the moisture %, you really don't know how much wood vs. how much water you are buying.

Can you tell dry wood from wet? There are several guidelines- don't go by the wood being grey and split at the ends- it could be sopping wet inside and look like that. It should make a clear noise when you bang 2 pieces together- highish pitched, rather than a thump. Split a piece and see if it looks wet- touch it to your cheek and see if it's cooler than expected, or use a moisture meter.

Adios Pantalones said:
In Europe I think they sell by weight, but unless you know the moisture %, you really don't know how much wood vs. how much water you are buying.

Can you tell dry wood from wet? There are several guidelines- don't go by the wood being grey and split at the ends- it could be sopping wet inside and look like that.
1/4 of a cord not worth buying a meter for Time to take a chance!

In some states it is illegal to sell firewood by any measurement except a cord or fraction of a cord. 17 cents a pound sound like a
bad idea to me.

bluefrier said:
In some states it is illegal to sell firewood by any measurement except a cord or fraction of a cord. 17 cents a pound sound like a bad idea to me.

No kidding. They have incentive to sell it wet. I'd pay for kiln dried before I bought it by the pound.

Status
Not open for further replies.