Wood general log splitter info

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Psass55

Oct 19, 2015
Western Pennsylvania
I have a chance to buy a 35 ton log splitter made by wood general, I haven't heard of these of know anything about them. Does anyone have any info or know what it would be worth? Pictures are attached. I'm going tomorrow to make sure it runs and see what kind of shape it's in. Thanks for any help you can give.

Attachments

• IMG_7467.JPG
    IMG_7467.JPG
    105.5 KB · Views: 580
  • IMG_7468.JPG
    IMG_7468.JPG
    126 KB · Views: 580
  • IMG_7469.JPG
    IMG_7469.JPG
    126.1 KB · Views: 424
Dad (RIP) bought a 27 ton one of these back in the 90's from Tractor Supply / Farm & Fleet or something like that. He ran the crap out of it over the years. My little brother and nephew in south central PA have used it, as well as my older brother in DC (who hauled it around in his mini van). It's probably got a good 75 to 100 cord under it's belt and to my knowledge never had a hiccup or repair. Good unit IMO.

I dont know that splitter mfg....but it looks like a pretty standard "economy" type design. Hydro tank as axle, standard I beam, etc... not a commercial unit but looks good. If it runs and functions properly I would have no issues with picking that up.

Reactions: Sean McGillicuddy
Looks like an older unit in fair condition. Couple factors I'd consider:
Basic setup that lacks log cradle beam design, so harder to balance and control logs. Look at the new splitters and notice how they naturally cradle the rounds, saves a lot of balancing, and I don't see a log catcher/tray either. If it runs great, and has no issues, I'd give up to $350 for it, 250 would be what I'd shoot for personally if I needed it. But, you might need to change out all the fluids, filters, etc, and may need to address/tune the motor in one way or another, all will take some time, and some money and materials. It definitely looks used.

I say this, keeping in mind that newer units like a Speeco 22 ton unit will split anything you can put through it, and I've seen and bought them on sale for 850-950 bucks around here over the past few years. And they make an easy bolt on log table, and they work and work and work without needing attention, because they're new.

It's amazing how well these smaller splitters hold their value. Cleaned up and running well, I could probably sell that machine you're looking at, if it's in good running order for about $650 in my neck of the woods.

It looks like it tilts.. hence the no log cradle ..

Reactions: Jags
Looks like a techumpseh “can’t spell” engine from early 2000s. Hard to tell, not my favorite running engines. But if it runs and splits wood it’s good. What asking price?

He's asked 500 for it, I decided to get the county line 25 ton as TSC has it at 799 this weekend with 0 percent financing. I figured if I bought the used one it is probably over 20 years old and would probably have had some maintenance to attend to. Thanks for all the input!

Reactions: VirginiaIron
Good Choice Congrats.

He's asked 500 for it, I decided to get the county line 25 ton as TSC has it at 799 this weekend with 0 percent financing. I figured if I bought the used one it is probably over 20 years old and would probably have had some maintenance to attend to. Thanks for all the input!
I just checked--our local TSC has the Country Line 25 listed at $999 this weekend-curious what area are you in?

Last edited:
I just checked--our local TSC has the Country Line 25 listed at $999 this weekend-curious what area are you in?
Well, it sure looks like TSC plays games with regional pricing--the splitter is $100 off/ @ $999 in our local market (checked as far as Milford, PA since that is striking distance away); one place I know a zip for (Leesburgh VA where my MIL lives) has it for $100 off / @ $899--and these are both supposedly on the same "Fall Sale".

And apparently some market gets it for $799 on the same sale. Stuff like this pisses me off.

Last edited:
Good decision. Much better design. Old unit with a Tecumseh is a recipe for downtime and repairs.
000d00037932cbadedc3de65e9c9c682.jpg

I have a 5 HP Tecumseh on MTD splitter. I bought the splitter used about 15 years ago. It starts first pull and runs perfect. It not run hard and gets a oil change each year.

I have a 5 HP Tecumseh on MTD splitter. I bought the splitter used about 15 years ago. It starts first pull and runs perfect. It not run hard and gets a oil change each year.

Can be good motors when well maintained, but are a bit less reliable and can be fussier than most the other old school brand air cooled motors.