Wood gun, vigas, econoburn recommendation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jbdpayne

Jan 31, 2022
Midway, PA
Hey everyone. I was looking into possibly fixing up my old 1984 burnham, but after consideration we want to look at a few other units. While we wont recieve the tax credit, i narrowed it down to wood gun, econoburn, and a vigas indoor boiler based on location and reviews poeple have had on here.
The vigas, i talked to mark at Ahona, super nice guy. He recomended the 40kw which is about $9500. I also found a gentleman selling that model that he bought but did not install due to back problems, along with a 300gal thermal storage for $6k. Thats a great price, but im concerned with Mark being the only dealer, ill be SOL long term if he retires and i need a part.

The econoburn, i talked to Greg and he recommended the 100kbtu to 150kbtu model. They are also pushing $9500-$10k. Being only a few hours away is nice, seems like peopke have never had big issues with them. Going to be a PITA getting it moved weight about 2000lbs but aside from that also a consideration.

Lastly is AHS's wood gun. Talked to Jeff and Nate there and both also good people. They are just shy of 3 hours from me. Seems like an overall good unit, but there are carbon and stainless models for these. Again, they recommend the e100 model pushing 100k btus, the carbon steel is $9500 and the stainless is $12500. My biggest question, is the SS model really worth the extra cost? I know you get what you pay for, but wondered if folks have really had issues over time with the carbon model. Would also be getting the smoke hood if i went that route. Also have a local with a 5 year old e140 carbon in great shape asking $6k.

Just curious what everyone thinks. I think the vigas is a fantastic deal, but the long term has me worried about parts like i mentioned. Aside from that id lean more towards the wood gun, just wasnt sure on that price. Any recomendations or info is greatly appreciated here!

Hey everyone. I was looking into possibly fixing up my old 1984 burnham, but after consideration we want to look at a few other units. While we wont recieve the tax credit, i narrowed it down to wood gun, econoburn, and a vigas indoor boiler based on location and reviews poeple have had on here.
The vigas, i talked to mark at Ahona, super nice guy. He recomended the 40kw which is about $9500. I also found a gentleman selling that model that he bought but did not install due to back problems, along with a 300gal thermal storage for $6k. Thats a great price, but im concerned with Mark being the only dealer, ill be SOL long term if he retires and i need a part.

The econoburn, i talked to Greg and he recommended the 100kbtu to 150kbtu model. They are also pushing $9500-$10k. Being only a few hours away is nice, seems like peopke have never had big issues with them. Going to be a PITA getting it moved weight about 2000lbs but aside from that also a consideration.

Lastly is AHS's wood gun. Talked to Jeff and Nate there and both also good people. They are just shy of 3 hours from me. Seems like an overall good unit, but there are carbon and stainless models for these. Again, they recommend the e100 model pushing 100k btus, the carbon steel is $9500 and the stainless is $12500. My biggest question, is the SS model really worth the extra cost? I know you get what you pay for, but wondered if folks have really had issues over time with the carbon model. Would also be getting the smoke hood if i went that route. Also have a local with a 5 year old e140 carbon in great shape asking $6k.

Just curious what everyone thinks. I think the vigas is a fantastic deal, but the long term has me worried about parts like i mentioned. Aside from that id lean more towards the wood gun, just wasnt sure on that price. Any recomendations or info is greatly appreciated here!
Have you considered Smokeless Heat and the Vedolux? Dean Zook, the owner, is super helpfull and accommodating .

Last edited:
Reactions: brenndatomu
I haven’t ran any of those boilers you mentioned. Mine is a Switzer, which has the storage built into the unit. I’m sure, though, that pretty much any new gasifier is going to be much happier with storage. Unless your house is so poorly insulated that it needs to run straight time.

I did look into them briefly. Although at the moment we werent planning on plumbing any storage based on the budget and space
I think you'd need or want storage with a Vigas.

I don't think I would put an EB in my house. I think they are prone to smoke spillage? Same with WG. A hood would help but not sure how much exactly.

I don't think I would put an EB in my house
I'm not sure if they have changed them or not...but lately this forum has been full of people with EB's that are running extremely high flue temps...don't sound very well designed to me...unless they have changed them by now...my 2 ¢

I'm not sure if they have changed them or not...but lately this forum has been full of people with EB's that are running extremely high flue temps...don't sound very well designed to me...unless they have changed them by now...my 2 ¢
Wow really, well thats good to know. I know they require a 8" flue aside from the smaller models thatwould have good draft. I havent seen anything newer on them other than they do still produce the old models. They are supposedly testing one model for the tax credit but other than that the rest are the same

I did look into them briefly. Although at the moment we werent planning on plumbing any storage based on the budget and space
If you aren't planning storage right away at least plumb it so all you have to do is add the tanks.
I can't imagine using a gasification boiler without storage,most of the benefit of gasification comes from having storage.
Year 13 on my Econoburn 200,i see no signs of the boiler having any issues.It works and is built like a tank.
Users have begun finding little tweaks on the Econoburn that make them even better.This year my high flue temps have disappeared by trying one of the mods found by a user.

I don't think I would put an EB in my house. I think they are prone to smoke spillage? Same with WG. A hood would help but not sure how much exactly.
Yea after 13 years my white boiler building is shades of gray inside
Personally i will never have a wood burning appliance in my home again.The safety aspect of my heating system in a separate building is priceless.The bonus is no mess in the house,no smoke and exercise to go to my 24/7 heated workshop

OP. I was impressed by Varm and was weighing it to the Tarm that also made it to the super short list of two units but I found a nicely used Tarm on here at an attractive price so I went that direction.

This boiler burned 22 cords a year .
The pig wood boiler.jpeg
The Jetstream with storage burned 4 cords a year!
100_2079.JPG
Over 35 years that's a difference of 630 cords!

Last edited:
Have you priced Froling. I just installed the S3 turbo 30KW unit with 500 gal of storage heating my 5 zone 3800 sq ft home. It sips wood so far and is a breeze to light and clean. Flue temps in middle of burn right around 300 to 340 deg burning 2 year old birch. Zero smoke in the house is also very nice.

Reactions: Gasifier
Have you priced Froling. I just installed the S3 turbo 30KW unit with 500 gal of storage heating my 5 zone 3800 sq ft home. It sips wood so far and is a breeze to light and clean. Flue temps in middle of burn right around 300 to 340 deg burning 2 year old birch. Zero smoke in the house is also very nice.
Not yet, i know they require the storage but have priced them yet only the Vigas from mark as a euro model

Personally i will never have a wood burning appliance in my home again.The safety aspect of my heating system in a separate building is priceless.The bonus is no mess in the house,no smoke and exercise to go to my 24/7 heated workshop
I hear ya there. This lower basement is block, metal walls and sealed very well. Its weord too because the walk out door ground level is at your waist, so in and out isnt bad at all

I get no smoke(well almost none) with the fan on the WG. With that said, $6k with some storage would be hard to pass up.

I get no smoke(well almost none) with the fan on the WG. With that said, $6k with some storage would be hard to pass up.
I hear ya there. I will see if hes still up for selling next week. I dont think the storage will work for myself, as its too big to get down there. I could certainly get a couple other upright tanks with what i saved though. I have room directly across them

I hear ya there. I will see if hes still up for selling next week. I dont think the storage will work for myself, as its too big to get down there. I could certainly get a couple other upright tanks with what i saved though. I have room directly across them

This company makes soft tanks that can fit in most anywhere .

I am in this camp. I wouldn't want my Garn in my house. No matter how you try there always seems to be some smoke and that what I am going to call fly ash in the air and on every thing. That Vigas that hadn't ever been used sure looks like a deal. I sure would figure a way to get some storage worked into your plan.

Storage is worth every penny to make your system that much better. Just like burning well seasoned firewood. You CAN figure out a way.

I literally cut a square through my basement floor. Dug down over two feet, then put some crushed stone in, poured a lower floor with rebar in it. Then formed and poured walls. This gave me the needed headroom for a large prior air system tank I found for a decent price.

Where there IS a will, there IS a way.

I have an E100 Wood Gun (S.S.) and a 400 gallon buffer tank. I have the system in its own enclosed boiler room, and allow the heat that the boiler radiates off(which is a lot) to come out of the boiler room through a vent at the top of one wall that has a 1” thick filter in it. You can buy these vents and filters for them right on Amazon cheap.

The deal on the VIGAS and storage would be hard to turn down. Especially unused. How to be sure nothing wrong with it? With a new one from a dealer you have a warranty. Tough call on that one.

If you go with a Wood Gun, get the stainless model. They usually have a sale in the spring. Ask about that this late winter/early spring. I get good support from AHS for parts and knowledge.

I would also be looking at and comparing a top of the line H.S. Tarm system with storage for that money. I’m trying to remember the name of them now. LOL Froling. Yes. That’s it. Those look impressive.

Don’t forget. Some tanks are non pressure (open system), some are pressurized (closed). I prefer a pressurized system. But that’s just me.

Keep doing your research, and good luck on your decision.

And don’t forget thermal return protection valve.

Reactions: hobbyheater
Storage is worth every penny to make your system that much better. Just like burning well seasoned firewood. You CAN figure out a way.

I literally cut a square through my basement floor. Dug down over two feet, then put some crushed stone in, poured a lower floor with rebar in it. Then formed and poured walls. This gave me the needed headroom for a large prior air system tank I found for a decent price.

Where there IS a will, there IS a way.

I have an E100 Wood Gun (S.S.) and a 400 gallon buffer tank. I have the system in its own enclosed boiler room, and allow the heat that the boiler radiates off(which is a lot) to come out of the boiler room through a vent at the top of one wall that has a 1” thick filter in it. You can buy these vents and filters for them right on Amazon cheap.

The deal on the VIGAS and storage would be hard to turn down. Especially unused. How to be sure nothing wrong with it? With a new one from a dealer you have a warranty. Tough call on that one.

If you go with a Wood Gun, get the stainless model. They usually have a sale in the spring. Ask about that this late winter/early spring. I get good support from AHS for parts and knowledge.

I would also be looking at and comparing a top of the line H.S. Tarm system with storage for that money. I’m trying to remember the name of them now. LOL Froling. Yes. That’s it. Those look impressive.

Don’t forget. Some tanks are non pressure (open system), some are pressurized (closed). I prefer a pressurized system. But that’s just me.

Keep doing your research, and good luck on your decision.

And don’t forget thermal return protection valve.
Thanks gasifier. Im hoping they do have a sale. $12500 is wild, but obviously everythibg is outrageous these days. I came across some old threads of yours and you seemed pretty happy with your setup. This gentleman with the vigas lives about 35 minutes from mark. I was planning on having him do a once over. Of course if he backs out of the sale, the e100 ss is at the top of the list. I briefly considered the carbon model, but i dont wamt to deal with issues prematurely down the road of course. Regardless of the setup, if i go woodgun, i do plan on running the piping and installing the tanks down the road for sure

The WG 140 is designed to burn green wood. You try to stuff it with dry wood your asking for problems. Get it going with dry but once it’s cookin cover it with green . A smoke hood is a must if installed indoors. The 140 likes big full length lumber (28-30”) to burn 12 or so hours. I have one that has out lasted me. I’ve aged out of lifting and chucking to keep this baby fed. It is great exercise, but for a younger man or woman. It now sits dormant in my basement, it’s a shame, if there’s anyone interested and in need of a great boiler.
Back to the WG and smoke, there’s definitely a learning curve involved here, you learn what to do, what not to do, but I learned and heated a big house with mine for 10 years, inches from tinder dry 1st floor hemlock floor joists, plenty safe, a we’ll built unit. Over the years I often boasted that my Wood Gun could heat a pool, driveway and my neighbor’s house if you plumbed them to it. The best home for a Wood Gun is in the wood shed with the wood next to it, piped under ground to the house. I had a friend once with this set up.
I

The WG 140 is designed to burn green wood. You try to stuff it with dry wood your asking for problems. Get it going with dry but once it’s cookin cover it with green . A smoke hood is a must if installed indoors. The 140 likes big full length lumber (28-30”) to burn 12 or so hours. I have one that has out lasted me. I’ve aged out of lifting and chucking to keep this baby fed. It is great exercise, but for a younger man or woman. It now sits dormant in my basement, it’s a shame, if there’s anyone interested and in need of a great boiler.
Back to the WG and smoke, there’s definitely a learning curve involved here, you learn what to do, what not to do, but I learned and heated a big house with mine for 10 years, inches from tinder dry 1st floor hemlock floor joists, plenty safe, a we’ll built unit. Over the years I often boasted that my Wood Gun could heat a pool, driveway and my neighbor’s house if you plumbed them to it. The best home for a Wood Gun is in the wood shed with the wood next to it, piped under ground to the house. I had a friend once with this set up.
I
Nothing is designed to burn green wood.
It just doesn't make sense,green wood is full of water.
Water is what firefighters use to put out fires.

Pretty sure @Gasifier manages to burn dry wood in his Wood Gun...

I burn seasoned firewood in my Wood Gun. It can give you some huffing and puffing issues if too dry though. My White Pine does this sometimes. But, it is not bad, and is now very minimal with the new insert device I bought from them. The Air Diverter Tube helps to minimize, almost eliminate, back puffing. It also seems to help a little with efficiency as well. But this has been hard to tell with the up and down temperatures and wind we have had this year.

I forgot to mention what some already have. The smoke hood is an absolute necessity. I do not want any smoke rolling out into my boiler room. This sends any smoke right outside where it belongs. I went with that right away when I got my Wood Gun.

I do believe they recommend burning wood that is between 20-30% moisture content for best results.

Last edited:
Reactions: brenndatomu