Wood heating isn't free, the good life

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
. I tried to go it without a splitter, but my declining health refused. Now I have a decent hydraulic splitter, a tractor, and a few attachments, but
I can honestly say iv been a wood burner for about 12 yrs have multiple stoves and have never once split a piece of wood with an ax. Dont actually even own an ax. When i do have to split wood its with a 30 ton splitter or more that i rent. If i cant get thru some of those rounds with a 30 ton i certainly would never do it by hand.

So like anything else, some diminishing returns going on. It would take some effort, but little outlay to gather a cord for a year. But a fully maintained fleet of equipment to do 100.
When equipment is doing double duty it can be written off, and beer can pay a friends help.

I probably am missing some costs, but I thought I'd run through a 20 year comparison versus propane, assuming the stove, saw, and splitter are good for 20 years. I had a truck 8 years before I start burning, but even adding in its cost of $12000 I guess I would break even. Without the truck figured in, wood burning possibly is cheaper over the long haul.

Attachments

• propane-calc.png
    propane-calc.png
    90.1 KB · Views: 167
I probably am missing some costs, but I thought I'd run through a 20 year comparison versus propane, assuming the stove, saw, and splitter are good for 20 years. I had a truck 8 years before I start burning, but even adding in its cost of $12000 I guess I would break even. Without the truck figured in, wood burning possibly is cheaper over the long haul.
1.jpg

Yup wood heat isn't "free" in the sense that you will likely spend tons of money acquiring the tools to make wood heating successful. For me it's just the fact that I enjoy being outside and processing the wood, or cutting down the trees, and of course the burning of it and seeing my furnace kick on less than 12 times a year :)

I love the wood heating lifestyle and its certainly not for everyone. More so if you don't have the right tools.

This is my favorite video on the matter, from the Life in Farmland YouTube channel:

Reactions: Seasoned Oak
For me it's now just peace of mind, no matter what happens in the world, my family will be warm.

For me it's now just peace of mind, no matter what happens in the world, my family will be warm.
Damn sodbusters...

Roy Suggs : What did you find?
Dan Suggs : Nothing but his old watch. Damn sodbusters!
Jake Spoon : You shot those two men for a watch?
Dan Suggs : Shot 'em, now I'm going to hang 'em.
Eddie Suggs : Hang 'em? Dang, you beat all! I've never heard of hanging dead men.
Dan Suggs : Shot 'em, now I'm gonna hang 'em, then I'm gonna burn 'em! Damn sodbusters.

Reactions: Seasoned Oak
Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000