Wood I.D. Help?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ReggieT

Aug 13, 2015
Birmingham, AL
Hey Guys,

Been a second since I've been on deck here, yet this log/wood has me and most folks in my circle baffled.
Has a weird smell, splits easily, & is much heavier than it looks.
Any ideas or thoughts?
Here are some pics before & after splitting.

Thanks,
Reg

Log long.jpg Log and Split.jpg Close Up Split.jpg Big End.jpg Dk Split.jpg

That looks like boxelder to me, and boxelder sure does have a distinct aroma. If it is green it will be heavy, but once it is seasoned it won't be dense at all. Have you got boxelder in Alabama?

I've never seen any, but I don't do a lot of exploratory wood harvesting. lol
So, there are some box elders that don't have the reddish streaks?

They get the red when they are damaged, or ant-infested. A box elder that doesn't get wind stress or other damage won't necessarily have the red, it will be nearly white throughout. We have a LOT of box elder growing around here, and my neighbor where I used to live would cut the ones hanging over his fields so the combine wouldn't hit them. Most of those were healthy trees, so no or very little red. He would drag them down the middle of the road with his tractor, right into my driveway. I burned a lot of box elder back then. Scrounging for free wood that was cut down because it was sick or dropping limbs, I'll get box elders with red in them.

Reactions: ReggieT
Could be Tulip. Tulip tree is not in the poplar family although it is known as tulip poplar etc. I have a huge true Tulip tree in my yard, lots of limb losses, branches off, so I do burn it. Great for kindling. That log and split looks very familiar. Do you have any branches with the dried tulip flower on it?

Reactions: ReggieT
Thanks guys.
This was a lone log lying in Park in the roadside.
Awesome feedback!

It could be healthy box elder. The bark looks a little flat to me, but it could be the picture. Box elder that grows around here has grand canyon like grooves in the bark, it tends to grow fairly twisted, and have red patterns.. It's a bear to split.

It's definitely not poplar. Can't comment on Tree of Heaven. Box elder most likely.

Not green enough in the middle for poplar. You said it is heavier than it looks. I think it is ash.

Reactions: patrickk222
poplar has deeper bark that looks like elder like the 5 cord i burnt

yea now that i look at it again id put my money on it bein tree of heaven and 2 the majority of poplar ive seen so far have just eofferen coloring in the middle and the bark is different than what u got here